WREXHAM made it two pre-season wins in a row as they beat Manchester United over in the USA - but lost star striker Paul Mullin to injury.

The Reds followed up last week's 4-0 win over LA Galaxy with a 3-1 victory over a youthful United side at the Snapdragon Stadium in San Diego.

That came at a cost however as Mullin picked up a punctured lung following an early clash with United keeper Nathan Bishop.

The injury was confirmed by manager Phil Parkinson post-match, but it is as yet unclear how long that will keep Mullin out of action for.

But, Wrexham were undeterred by that on the night as they marched on to victory.

United started the game off brightly with the likes of Hannibal Mejbri and Shola Shoretire getting forward well.

The injury to Mullin came just 15 minutes in when the forward was hunting the ball down only for Bishop to come out and collide with him just outside the box.

That incident left the forward on the ground holding his sides in agony and needing an oxygen mask - and left Wrexham fans hoping that the injury won't keep him out for too long.

That forced Wrexham into an early change with Billy Waters coming on to replace his fellow striker.


Despite United being on top in the early stages, it was Wrexham who broke the deadlock just before the half-hour mark.

Liam McAlinden whipped in a fantastic ball for Ollie Palmer who delicately flicked the ball onto Elliot Lee who was waiting at the back post to slot home.

Things got even better for Wrexham just seven minutes later when they doubled their advantage.

A trademark throw-in into the box from captain Ben Tozer met the head of Max Cleworth who headed on to Aaron Hayden to nod home for 2-0.

The centre-back trio combined brilliantly to stun United.

The Leader:

Aaron Hayden rises above the United defence to head home Wrexham's second goal. (PIC by Wrexham AFC).

But, the United youngsters never gave up and were rewarded for that on the stroke of half time.

A teasing ball from Alvaro Fernandez out on the left found Marc Jurado who poked home to pull United back into the tie.

In the second half, Wrexham made several changes to their line-up and were given an immediate advantage as United were reduced to 10-men just three minutes after the restart.

Captain Dan Gore was sent off for a harsh challenge on Andy Cannon, who had only just come on for Wrexham.

The substitutes would go on to make a difference for Wrexham too, with Jacob Mendy particualrly outstanding in the second half.

It was a cross from him on 69 minutes which proved vital as it was met by fellow substitute Sam Dalby who headed home the third and decisive goal for Wrexham.

The Red' experience showed against a youthful United side, but they also certainly played very well at spells with Lee and Mendy standing out as they were crowned Snapdragon Cup champions.

A record crowd of 34,248 people was recorded at the Snapdragon Stadium, with Wrexham co-chairman Rob McElhenney and wife Kailin Olson also in attendance.

Up next now for the Reds is another pre-season friendly v Philadelphia Union on Saturday, July 29.