A MAN who beat another over the back with a crutch in Flintshire has been jailed.

Ryan Kelvin Seaman, 24, of Brook Street in Chester, appeared before Caernarfon Crown Court on Tuesday, May 10.

He was charged with affray and criminal damage, having been convicted following a trial.

READ MORE: Wrexham and Flintshire drink and drug drive totals revealed

Rosemary Proctor prosecuting told the court how, on February 16 of this year, Steven Richardson had been smoking outside his home on Ivy Crescent in Mold.

A group of seven males arrived outside Mr Richardson's home, one of which was on crutches and some of the others there were 'carrying pieces of wood'.

The group began shouting and chasing Mr Richardson around a car which was parked outside his house.

Seaman then took his friend's crutch from him and began beating Mr Richardson 'over the back' with it.

READ MORE: Mostyn drug-driver fined and banned following collision

Another member of the group threw a brick which narrowly missed Mr Richardson's partner before Seaman threw an object through the window of their house.

The court heard how that window then smashed through into a room which the couple's children had been in at the time.

The Leader:

PIC: Caernarfon Crown Court.

The incident, which lasted around 10 minutes in total, had left Mr Richardson's partner 'petrified'.

The court was told that Seaman, who was born and bred in Mold, had a 'long history of offending' dating back to 2011.

Oliver King defending Seaman said: "He has told me that he regrets his actions', especially the distress he caused to the children."

Mr King added that Seaman claimed that Mr Richardson had 'started' the arguement by 'offering him out for a fight'.

This led to an 'overreaction' from Seaman, according to Mr King, who stressed the fact that 'no serious injury' was caused the during the attack.

READ MORE: Fine for Greenfield man who admitted being drunk in street

Sentencing Seaman, Judge Nicola Saffman said: "I cannot ignore the fact that you knew the children were at the house and the fact that you acted in such an anti-social manner."

Seaman was sentenced to two years and nine months in prison. He will serve half of that in jail and half on licence.

He also received a 10-year restraining order against Mr Richardson and his partner and a Criminal Behaviour Order, prohibiting him from congregating in a group with three or more people intending to cause harm or distress, for a period of five years.