A "MADMAN" who bit off part of a person's finger in a terrifying street attack has been jailed.

Richard O'Neill, aged 41 and of no fixed abode, appeared before Mold Crown Court via video link on Tuesday for sentencing.

He had already admitted at a previous hearing how he attacked Stephen Jones and his partner Helen Johnson in Wrexham last year.

Describing the circumstances Oliver King, prosecuting, said the victims had enjoyed a night out in the town centre on the evening of October 4 and had been walking up Penybryn in the early hours of the next morning.

As they reached the Bowling Green Pub, they saw O'Neill "face down" and "twitching" on the opposite side of the road.

The couple crossed over to check on him and after asking if he was ok, received a mouthful of abuse as O'Neill got to his feet and walked away.

Continuing their journey home, Mr Jones and Ms Johnson walked in the same direction but some distance behind O'Neill.

Some way down the road, the couple caught up to him and Ms Johnson said they had only been "trying to help".

At this point O'Neill began shouting and pushed Mr Jones to the floor before getting on top of his chest and biting at his head and face.

"Helen Johnson watched as the defendant bit Mr Jones' nose," said Mr King.

"She said he was 'like a madman' and she was concerned if she didn't do something the defendant would bite his nose off.

"Ms Johnson said there was blood everywhere.

"She was desperate so she struck him repeatedly on the back with her bag."

O'Neill then turned his aggression towards Ms Johnson, the court heard.

He grabbed her hair with such force, he pulled a clump out.

When a couple from a nearby house came out after seeing what had happened and calling the police, O'Neill got to his feet and ran.

Mr Jones then realised the extent of his injuries from the attack.

He had several bite wounds, some of which had punctured the skin, and part of his left little finger had been bitten off completely from the top joint.

O'Neill got to Wellington Road before passing out.

An ambulance was called for him, and subsequently police were also called.

But before the officers arrived he had returned to his B&B.

Officers who attended the address found him asleep, with his blood-stained clothing on the floor.

The end of Mr Jones's finger was recovered from the pavement by police.

But despite treatment, it was not possible to reattach it - which affected his work as a bricklayer, the court heard.

In a victim statement, Mr Jones said the incident has left him struggling to grip items with his left hand and he still has nightmares and flashbacks about the attack.

Ms Johnson said the attack had made her "fearful" and "emotionally exhausted".

Mr King told the court O'Neill has had eight convictions of battery since 2003 and "a pattern of biting people when in a conflict with others."

Maria Masselis, defending, said: "The circumstances of his previous convictions are deeply unpleasant.

"This is by far and away the most serious offence he has committed.

"He is now at an age where he realises this isn't something he can or wants to carry on doing.

"he recognises and has been frank in saying that drink is at the heart of his offences.

"He has said he feels he will be better off in custody. "When he has received custodial sentences in the past he has used that time constructively.

"There's every possibility that this defendant will continue to build on that good work during the custodial sentence he will receive in relation to these offences.

"He will be unable to access alcohol for a long period of time and in my submission there is a very real possibility of rehabilitating this defendant which has never happened before."

Recorder Robert John Philpotts said: "I have seen the pictures of the injuries and the pavement showing the blood shed during this attack.

"I have heard about the impact this assault has had on your victims, and they were not the first victims at your hands.

"In my judgement, you've led a charmed life until now. "You've had some astonishingly lenient sentences, in my opinion. That is about to end. "You are a dangerous offender. You represent a significant risk to the public."

Mr Philpotts sentenced O'Neill to eight years in custody for one of the attacks and six months for the other, to run concurrently.

He also imposed a two year extended license period, making his total sentence 10 years in all.

O'Neill must also pay a victim surcharge of £181.