A HALF marathon has had to change its course at the eleventh hour as sections of the route have been left underwater due to heavy rainfall.

In the wake of Storm Ciara, the Village Bakery Wrexham Half Marathon has had to change its route ahead of the weekend event returning as sections of the course around the nine-mile mark are now submerged in water and would not passable.

The race, due to be held on February 16, will now see its route travel up through Holt village and continue onto Frances Lane before re-joining the final stretch of the race on Bryn Lane.

Mike Harrington, race director for the Village Bakery Wrexham Half Marathon said: “We knew that this may happen so in January 2017 we had an alternative course measured just in case. This course is fully accredited and is ready to go.

“We have spent the last 48 hours dealing with our Traffic Management company, our amazing marshals and drink station volunteers, Isycoed Community Council, Wrexham Borough Council, Welsh Athletics, The Association of UK Course Measurers as well as visiting residents and farmers on the new section of the course. Just about everything is in place.”

The race will begin and end in the same place as originally planned and an updated course map will be made available on the event’s website as soon as possible.

Starting on Dunster Road and finishing at 'The Club House' in Oak Road on Wrexham Industrial Estate, this classic race is popular with some of the fastest runners in the region as well as those tackling the distance for the first time.

Cash prizes are on offer for those that place on the podium, as well as the traditional Welsh baked goodies for all finishers courtesy of the Village Bakery Wrexham.

Made with Flourish

Mr Harrington continued: “Everyone involved in the changes has been so good about it, I am looking forward to people seeing the new route and trying it out as I personally think it is a lot better then the previous one so it will be good to get some feedback on it for the future.

“We are keeping an eye on the weather at the weekend as apparently Storm Dennis is on the way. If we feel we have to cancel, we will let people know immediately, however we will send an update by Saturday lunchtime and will endeavour to have made a final decision by then.”