A FAMILY has paid tribute to a man who served as a steward at Wrexham Football Club for almost 40 years.

Peter Roberts, who had been a steward at his beloved Racecourse ground for 37 years, has died aged 74.

His daughters, Kirsty and Sharon, said the ground became like a second home to their family as their dad would also steward Wales international fixtures.

The Leader:

Peter Roberts with daughter Kirsty at the Racecourse

Kirsty Curtis, who works at the Countess of Chester Hospital, said: "He also stewarded for international matches and the rugby too. He welcomed all to his second home – the Racecourse.

"One Christmas I bought him a personalised ‘brick’ that was used to build the new stadium. It was literally the best thing I could have ever bought him and he took great delight in trying to find it and reading all the other bricks too. His favourite players were Neville Southall, Duncan Ferguson and of course our very own Joey Jones who was his idol. He loved being able to have a little chat with his heroes when they came to the Racecourse, and he would often get me a few autographs for my collection.

"Even after retiring from his steward role, we would often go and watch the red army. He was definitely one of the more vocal supporters and so many people there knew him, he truly loved the ground and his many years spent there."

She added: "We travelled away at times too with one highlight being a trip to West Ham for a win in the FA Cup. His favourite home match of course being the amazing victory over Arsenal. It was such a moment for every Wrexham fan, and I will never forget being able to share that with my Dad.

"He didn’t shut up for weeks over it!"

The Leader:

Peter enjoying a pint of Wrexham lager

Peter's daughter Sharon Williams added: "His love for football and especially Wrexham never wavered and he spent 37 years as a steward there watching the young trainee footballers become better and better and eventually becoming part of the first team.

"He was very honoured to have been made a senior steward and wore his Wrexham AFC tie and blazer with such pride. He thought very highly of his co-workers and their dedication to Wrexham."

A Wrexham and Welsh man through and through, Mr Roberts was born in the town and lived and worked in Wrexham all his life.

The Leader:

Peter was raised in Coed Abon

Born in 1945, Mr Roberts attended St Giles and St David's schools and was raised in Coed Abon, Caia Park, until he married Ann.

His working life started with JH Dewhurst Butchers, between 1961 and 1965, before working for the Gas Board, Firestone Tyres, Metal Box, and finally Sharp Manufacturing.

The Leader:

Peter and Ann Roberts lived in Wrexham all their lives

Mr Roberts suffered a heart attack in March 2019, followed by a quadruple bypass at Broadgreen Hospital - but he never complained and kept up-to-date with his beloved Wrexham.

Kirsty added: "He recovered very well and never once moaned about all he had to go through. Even whilst in hospital, he still wanted his daily newspaper and went straight to the football section. It was his passion, and there was nothing he didn’t know about Wrexham AFC, or most other clubs for that matter."

"We were due to go and watch Wrexham versus Woking last weekend. In my eulogy I mentioned this and asked the team to go for one last win dedicated to my Dad, they did not disappoint.

"We would have both thoroughly enjoyed the match, singing with the crowd, shouting at the referee, and just generally getting lost in the world of football with all the other supporters; he would have been over the moon."

The Leader:

Peter Roberts

Mr Roberts's family say he passed away peacefully on December 28. He was the dearly-loved husband of the late Ann, who passed away in February 2018, and devoted taid to Sharon's children Thomas and Lucie.

Sharon added: He was an amazing taid - he was always taid to them rather than grandad. He would sit there reading to both of them and would do all the things you expect a taid to do with his grandchildren."

Mr Roberts funeral service took place at Holy Trinity Church, Rhostyllen, on Thursday, January 16.

He leaves his older sister Barbara who he spent a lot of time with in the last few years of his life. They provided great support to one another after losing their spouses.

Kirsty added: "Never will you meet a man who more faithfully lived his values. If he said he would do something he did, he was always around if you needed a hand, and he loved his family unconditionally."