A FAMILY left devastated by a house fire say their home is still ‘unlivable’ over two weeks on.

‎Dafydd Geoffrey Marks‎ was at home with his fiancé Rebecca Aldous and two young children when their chip pan caught fire and their kitchen went up in flames, just days after Christmas.

The family say they lost most of their belongings and their home in Bagillt was left extremely damaged.

Dafydd told the Leader that since the fire on December 27, his family are still unable to live in their home, despite it being deemed ‘liveable’ by Flintshire Council.

He said: “They have come out to clean the kitchen and inspect the damage and they told me it was liveable but there are cracks in the wall, the venting system is burnt, the tiles need to be re-done and there’s a big hole in my ceiling.

“We can’t put the heating on because of the smell of burning and at the moment it’s unlivable.”

The Leader previously reported how the community rallied together to support the couple and their two young children.

Dafydd added: “It’s not safe for the children. We are still unable to return home.

“Up to now we have managed to get it painted and carpeted, but the inspector has come out and finally agreed that we need a new kitchen.

“Currently, it is unlivable, how can we live in a place with no cooker and fridge, we can’t cook our children food or store fresh food.

“It’s affecting me and my fiancé more than the kids, we are just stressed and tired and I think, we are generally very annoyed.

“We are getting a whole new kitchen but that’s going to take another two to three weeks. We just want to go home.”

North Wales Fire and Rescue Service confirmed they received the call on Friday evening, December 27 to reports of a house on fire in Bagillt.

Two pumps attended, one from Flint and one from Holywell and used two pumps, two breathing apparatus and one hose reel jet to control the blaze.

Neal Cockerton, chief officer housing and assets said: “The council’s emergency electrical and heating out of hours team attended the property immediately following the incident to ensure the property was safe and secure.

“A further inspection of the damage to the property was carried out the next day following which the tenants were given the appropriate advice and guidance.

“Housing officers are in contact with the tenants and arrangements are being made for the necessary repairs to be carried out to the structure of the property’s kitchen.

“Support will also be provided for the cleaning of the property, responsibility for which lies with the tenants.”