STUDENTS owned up to damaging a defibrillator after hearing how one had saved a life at their at school.

A police appeal was launched on December 4 after the glass cabinet of a defibrillator at Mold Tennis and Bowls club was smashed - causing consternation amongst local people.

But the two youngsters who damaged the life-saving medical apparatus have since owned up.

After hearing about the incident, staff at Mold Alun High School held a session in which they explained to students how the school's own device had recently been used to save a life.

The Leader:

Colin Ellis, deputy headteacher, said: "After seeing the article we immediately conducted a PSE [personal and social education] session, highlighting how disappointing this act was, and also how important defibrillators are within our community.

"One was used on our site a few months ago within the sports centre, which saved a life.

"After this, the boys came forward and admitted what they had done.

"They were absolutely mortified and want to put it right. They've made a mistake, but owned up and want to make amends - and that's all we can ask for of our students."

Staff contacted Mold Town Council and the students offered to pay for the damage and carry out voluntary service.

Mr Ellis added: "The town council was grateful that the boys have seen the errors of their ways, and the publicity gained has made the young people in the Mold community more knowledgeable about defibrillators."