A SELFLESS electrical tester who was found hanged in Flint had struggled with depression, an inquest heard.

Jonathan Paul Stott died in Centenary Square, where he had been living, on March 17 this year. He was 43.

Resuming an inquest into his death at Mold yesterday John Gittins, coroners for North Wales (east and central) said Mr Stott had been discovered by his partner Rebecca Ratcliffe.

Referring to a statement from the electrical tester’s mother Joan Gideon, Mr Gittins told the court Mr Stott had experienced mental health difficulties throughout his life and that he had attempted to take his life when he was a teenager.

Then following the death of a close friend while he was at university, he battled depression and socialised less.

He was referred to a psychiatrist in Mold in 2012, then to Deeside drug and alcohol services and later suffered two broken feet in an accident.

The impact of the accident on his mobility contributed to his depression, the inquest heard.

In a statement Mr Stott’s son Cameron said his father would always give advice and was “hardly ever selfish or greedy”.

He continued: “He was so independent and helped everyone else out. He was an amazing person and has left a massive hole. We miss him so much.”

Mr Stott’s partner Rebecca Ratcliffe told the inquest in her statement that she had known him for about 16 years, and lived with him for about 13 years.

They had some splits in their relationship, the hearing was told, but had got back together in December 2018.

She said her partner had been prescribed medication for depression in the past but he had said the tablets made him feel worse.

His depression was more difficult at certain times of year, she said, such as in April - which was the anniversary of the death of his friend.

Miss Ratcliffe said her partner had consumed alcohol daily in the past, but that he had reduced his intake when they got back together.

He reported feeling “low” in the day leading up his death, she said, and suggested she visit her mother’s house for dinner.

When she returned to Centenary Square, she entered the house and found Mr Stott hanged.

An ambulance was called but Mr Stott was pronounced dead at the scene.

Dr Andrew Dalton conducted a post mortem examination and found that Mr Stott had consumed some alcohol prior to his death, and had taken no illicit drugs.

Mr Gittins said based on Dr Dalton’s findings, he did not believe alcohol would have impaired his judgement or understanding of his actions.

Dr Dalton found the medical cause of Mr Stott’s death to be cerebral edema with anoxia due to suspension.

Mr Gittins recorded a conclusion of suicide.