A PENSIONER from Wrexham suffering from anxiety and depression killed himself while under the mistaken impression that he was being abandoned by the mental health services.

The family of 72-year-old Jeffrey Williams told an inquest they hoped the medics involved in his care would pay heed to the evidence presented at the hearing and try to ensure no-one else was left feeling that support was being cut off.

The hearing at Ruthin was told Mr Williams was merely being transferred to the care of the community mental health team from the day hospital which he had been visiting for more than 10 weeks.

Mr Williams, of Glan Aber Court, Rhosrobin, was found hanged at Barretts Bridge, Bradley, on September 27.

Although he had spoken several times previously about having suicidal thoughts, doctors and nurses told the hearing that he had never indicated that he would act on them.

His daughter-in-law Liz Ledsham told witnesses from the Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board: “We were just as shocked as you were because we thought he would always pull back from the brink.”

The inquest heard Mr Williams had suffered from severe anxiety for about 18 months and spoken to his GP before he first went to the emergency department at the Maelor Hospital in May, 2018.

He subsequently paid two more visits in July and in the meantime was a patient in the day hospital, which he attended at least twice a week.

He was concerned at times about the various medications he was prescribed for insomnia and anxiety.

His care co-ordinator, Steven Sidlow, told the inquest that at one stage Mr Williams contacted the unit on almost a daily basis and knew who to contact for help and advice.

Mr Sidlow said he had become very dependent on the day hospital and attended there longer than most, so it was decided he should be transferred to the community mental health team.

It was explained to him what was happening, but his son, also Jeffrey, said: “He was worried sick about losing the support.”

His said his father had tried desperately to overcome his problem.

Mr Sidlow said: “He never gave me any impression he was worried about the change.”

Asked by Joanne Lees, assistant coroner for North Wales East and Central, whether it was thought that transferring his care might increase the risk of suicide, Mr Sidlow replied: “No, in fact we thought it would help.”

If Mr Williams had expressed such concerns they would have been addressed, he added.

Recording a conclusion of suicide, Mrs Lees said she did not think she could issue a Regulation 28 report to prevent future deaths as it was clear there was a plan in place even though it might not have been what Mr Williams wanted.

“The problem was that they did not know there was a problem,” she said.