A WOMAN drove to a police station after a row - when she had been drinking.

Valerie Jones, 63, drove from her home in Windermere Road in Wrexham, parked in the Asda car park and walked to the nearby police station.

She was seen in the yard near the custody suite, was seen by staff and made a complaint.

Police took her to her home to investigate the matter - and it was only then that it was realised that she had driven.

Jones admitted driving with 242 miligrammes of alcohol in her blood compared to the legal limit of 80.

She was banned for a total of three years and four months after the court heard that she had a previous conviction in 2009 for being in charge of her vehicle with excess alcohol.

District Judge Chris Johnson, sitting at North East Wales Magistrates’ Court at Mold, placed her on a 12 month community order with rehabilitation and placed her on a four week curfew under which she must remain indoors between 8pm and 7am.

He ordered her to pay £200 costs and an £85 surcharge.

Prosecutor Rhian Jackson told how at 12.55 a.m. on September 20 the defendant was at her home address and there was a row with her daughter.

She left the address, got into her vehicle and drove to Wrexham police station to report what she said had happened at the address.

The prosecutor said that Jones parked in the Asda car park opposite the police station and walked there.

It was only when police took her home to investigate the matter - no charges arose from that - that officers became aware that she had driven.

She claimed that she had drunk a large glass of whisky after returning home but she had been in the company of the police throughout, the prosecutor explained.

The defendant initially pleaded not guilty but changed her plea at an earlier hearing.

Christie Ankers-Phillips, defending, said that the one good think that had come out of it was that the defendant was now quite open and honest about the fact that she had an issue with alcohol.

She had been drinking every day, more than she should, she said.

Her daughter was in court and being very supportive.

The court heard how the defendant had worked as a school escort for years but had to give up because of arthritis.