Luke Young's tackle might prove to be one of the most costly in Wrexham's history.

With little between the sides early into the second round replay, Young crashed into a tackle with Mickey Demetriou.

Yes, the midfielder will argue he won the ball, but his actions were reckless with both feet off the ground and the studs of his right foot showing.

Young gave referee Kevin Johnson little option but to show him a straight red card, and with it went Wrexham's chances of booking a lucrative third round tie against Premier League Leicester City.

Progress to the third round, and a televised tie on Sunday, January 6, would have meant a cool £204,000 to Wrexham, money that could have proven the difference between another year in the National League or promotion.

It's hard to blame Young, who was pumped up for a cup replay with Wrexham's Welsh rivals,

But cup ties turn on such moments and this was certainly no different as Wrexham were soon defending for their lives after a solid start to proceedings.

The Reds were forced into a reshuffle after Young's dismissal, but no changes were made with Stuart Beavon and Bobby Grant taking turns to do a shift out wide on the right.

But it was from the right, their left, that Newport found much of their attacking joy, Dan Butler forcing Rob Lainton into a smart save low down, before Demetriou sent the rebound wide from 25 yards.

Antoine Semenyo was proving a menace cutting in from the left for Newport, the teenager, who may have been the focus of onlooking scouts, teeing up Jamille Matt, who volleyed agonisingly wide from four yards.

Semenyo decided to go it alone moments later, the 18-year-old jinking his way inside Mark Carrington and Luke Summerfield before sending a fierce drive over the top of Lainton's crossbar.

Wrexham punctuated Newport's dominance by going close to a surprise opener of their own. The industrious Paul Rutherford picked up a stray pass and only Joe Day's outstretched left hand preventing his deflected drive finding the top corner of the net.

Normal service was resumed soon after as Wrexham soaked up Newport pressure, the hosts going close as Matt's header from a deflected Butler cross was kept out by Lainton.

Towering headers from Shaun Pearson and Jake Lawlor followed from further Butler's crosses and after five minutes of additional time, the half time whistle was blown.

It was mission accomplished up until that point for Wrexham, but all of their good work was to de undone four minutes into the second period as Newport's persistence paid off.

A corner from the right was won by Fraser Franks - with more than a hint of foul play - and Padraig Amond was on hand to convert from close range.

The referee ignored Shaun Pearson's protestations and Wrexham were left with a mountain to climb, which grew ever bigger as substitute Robbie Willmott calmly squared the ball across the box for Matt to double the home side's advantage.

Wrexham were on the ropes with Newport pouring forward and no sign of creating any chances of their own.

Amond should have bagged his second, and Newport's third, the striker somehow contriving to head wide of Lainton's left upright with the goal at his mercy.

It mattered little soon after, however, as Amond's drilled shot, which was heading out for a thrown in, was cruelly turned home by Mark Carrington. There was nothing the Wrexham stalwart could do.

Newport's vocal home support ran through their repertoire of anti-Wrexham songs, including taunts about the 2013 play-off final and their higher league status, before warning Leicester City striker Jamie Vardy that they were 'coming for him'.

Chances continued to come for Newport, who were enjoying their man advantage and three-goal cushion, as Wrexham toiled.

A fourth goal duly arrived with time running out as the impressive Butler arrowed a long range strike into the bottom corner of Lainton's goal.

It was tough to take for Wrexham, who could do very little about their plight and they were left to lick their wounds as Newport celebrated victory - and the return of Christmas.

Exiles' boss Michael Flynn had threatened to cancel the festive period had his side not won, but they will be able to tuck into some turkey and pigs in blankets now.

For Wrexham it promised to be a long journey home, but they will gather their thoughts and focus on the bigger picture - winning promotion.