A MOTHER and toddler had a lucky escape when their car burst into flames on a school run.

Karolina Kasperek, who is from Mancot, said she parked her BMW estate at Elfed High School in Buckley on Monday to pick up her daughter.

She let her two-year-old son out of his car seat but as the toddler played with the electric windows Mrs Kasperek said she could smell burning.

“I Parked my car exactly where it is now and took my son our of his car seat,” said Mrs Kasperek.

“I was playing with my son in the front of the car and we were singing songs.

“Then he started playing with the window and when it was open I could smell something like plastic burning.

“I got out and there was smoke coming from under the bonnet and I thought ‘Oh my God’.

“A man opened the bonnet and when I lifted it I could see the flames.

“It was terrifying because my son was still in the car.

“I got my him out of the car and got away as fast as I could.

“One woman held my son and another called the fire service and they were here really quickly.

“It was very crowded because everybody was picking up their children from school.

“I would like to say thank you to the ladies that helped and to the fire service for making it as secure as it was,” she said.

North Wales Fire and Rescue Service received the call just after 3.30pm yesterday.

One crew from the town attended the scene and extinguished the flames.

A woman who saw the incident, and asked not be named, said: "I looked out of the window and saw the smoke.

"I thought the car had overheated and then there were flames everywhere.

"The fire crew was there quickly and didn't waste any time putting it out.

"It was quite a lot of fire. It looked like it came from the front of the car under the bonnet."