A MAN who lost everything he owns in a fire is urging the council to take action.

North Wales Fire and Rescue Service were called to a Riverside Caravan Park, Queensferry, about 3am on October 22 to reports of a blaze which engulfed two caravans.

Martin McDonagh, 57, said at least one caravan could have been saved if the fire hydrants had been working.

He said: “None of these are working and there’s kids around here, God forbid. They still haven’t been fixed now.

“If the fire hydrants were working I could have saved something. I lost everything. It should be a wake up call to the council, we are human beings at the end of the day.

“Please don’t let this happen again.

“My brother’s caravan was destroyed and one million per cent that wouldn’t have gone up if they were working, it would’ve been saved so he’s lost everything too.”

Martin said he was woken up from the coughing and could not see past the black smoke.

He added: “I got out and looked back and saw all the flames.

“I’m really sad about it, I buried my wife about three years ago and I had all her bits, silly things like her brush, and I like to lay them out sometimes on the bed.

“I can replace everything else but I can’t replace them. I like to think it could’ve been controlled but that could be wishful thinking that I could have saved something.

“I’m still not too well, I can’t catch my breath and I end up having panic attacks. I find myself back in the bedroom, it’s very frightening.

“I’m 57 years old and I get proper nightmares, but awake nightmares.”

The fire service received the call at 2.52am and three appliances were sent to the blaze, two from Deeside and one from Buckley.

The site, owned by Flintshire Council, is best known as the home of Big Fat Gypsy Wedding star Paddy Doherty.

Martin, who was married to his wife Teresa for 41 years, said he has lived at the site for about 6 years.

He also had the photographs of his eldest son, who died in a car accident 21 years ago, which were lost in the fire.

He told the Leader: “Thank you to the emergency service, it’s not their fault, they done everything they could.

“Everyone says ask for help but I get embarrassed, they’ve got kids to look after but it’s a very good community.

“They were all out yesterday trying to clean the stains, it was beautiful to see.

“I’m on 26 tablets a day now because of the smoke damage. I was fighting for my breath and was woken by my own coughing, that’s how lucky I am.”

A spokesman for Flintshire Council said: “Whilst the Council owns the site, responsibility for fire safety precautions on individual pitches lies with caravan occupiers and this is clearly stated in residents’ licence agreements for the pitches. Further, the resident of the pitch affected by the recent incident received a joint visit from council officers and the North Wales Fire and Rescue Service in the spring when he was issued with smoke and fire detectors for use in the caravan.

“The council’s Gypsy Traveller Liaison Officer has been supporting and working with the family since the incident and an offer of temporary accommodation was made which was declined.

“This recent incident clearly highlights the value and importance of smoke and fire detectors in alerting people to the dangers of fires and allowing them precious time to escape.”