A teenager threatened to kill a Wrexham shopkeeper.

Defendant Jordan David Rippon, 19, put his hoodie up outside the AMPM store in Bryn Offa, Wrexham, and tried to incite him to fight.

He also made gestures towards him indicating that he would slit his throat. To make matters worse a court was told that it was all in breach of a suspended prison sentence and a restraining order not to approach victim Arumugam Kulothungan.

At North East Wales Magistrates’ Court at Mold, Rippon was locked up and was told that he was not big or clever.

Rippon, of Pendas Park, Penley, received a 21 week sentence and wept as he was taken to the cells.

An indefinite restraining order was made under which he is not to go within 200 metres of the store. He must not contact his victim in any way, including social media.

Magistrates said that they were extremely disappointed that he continued to have a derogatory attitude towards the victim and that he was in a state of denial.

It was not big or clever to behave as he had done and it was described as a “particularly nasty incident”.

A shop owner had been put in fear in which should be his safe place to work and a neighbour had witnessed what took place.

“It is appalling behaviour,” said chairman Kimberly Caruana.

He had shown a complete disregard for a suspended sentence and he had breached a restraining order, which had been imposed following an earlier incident. Rippon admitted a public order offence and breaching the restraining order during the incident on April 27. Evidence was called at an earlier hearing because he did not accept the prosecution case, but it was found proved by magistrates.

Prosecutor Rhian Jackson told how the 12 month restraining order was imposed in August of last year.

But in April the victim was outside his store having a cigarette when he saw the defendant approach.

She told North East Wales Magistrates’ Court at Mold that the victim, who had been at the shop for ten years, heard him say: “Hi, you want to fight with me?”

Then he said: “I am going to kill you.”

He made gestures with his hand, pulling it across his throat.

The victim returned to the shop and went behind the counter but he could see Rippon outside and heard him shout “come outside” and “I want to fight with you.”

The defendant put his hood up so that he could only see his eyes and he was said to be jumping up and down and making gestures. He was then seen to be on the phone and the shopkeeper was concerned that he may be recruiting someone else.

Mrs Jackson said that Mr Kulothungan picked up his phone and pretended to call the police.

An independent witness saw what was going on from her home and came out with a camera but he walked off.

He returned with his hood up, closed tight around his face, and he walked back and too outside the shop, goading the owner.

Arrested and interviewed, Rippon said that he was walking to his mother’s home as she lived nearby and he believed that the order had finished.

He alleged that when he saw the shopkeeper that he pulled his hood up so that he would not be noticed.

The defendant made allegations that the shopkeeper had approached him asking if he was looking for more trouble.

Rippon said he believed the shopkeeper wanted to fight, gave him a little finger sign and said he did phone a friend but he did not turn up.

But his version of events was rejected by an earlier court who found the victim and an independent witness credible.

Probation officer Rachel Woodcock said Rippon did not accept any responsibility and still denied making gestures, claiming he grabbed his own anorak hood because it was too tight.

He continued to have a derogatory attitude towards the victim and may have a grudge against him because of his earlier conviction.

Defending solicitor Christie Ankers-Phillips said that the offences took place six months ago and since then there had been no trouble and no re-offending.

He was in a new relationship, his girlfriend was two months pregnant and she and his mother were in court to support him. The defendant had matured in a short space of time, accepted that the court had found against him and was willing to comply with anything the court believed was the best way forward.