WREXHAM were held to a 0-0 draw by AFC Fylde following an entertaining clash at The Racecourse in front of nearly 6,000 fans.

It was an end to end encounter with Wrexham really stepping up a gear in the second period, putting fancied Fylde under increased pressure.

Fylde also had chances but found Wrexham goalkeeper Rob Lainton in excellent form as he kept a second clean sheet in succession.

The first came in Saturday's 1-0 opening day win at Dover and although Wrexham were unable to make it back to back victories, manager Sam Ricketts won't be unhappy with this performance.

Wrexham, playing with a 4-3-3 system, look a lot more dangerous on the attack under the former Wales international, even if only one goal has arrived so far.

But four points from a possible six - against two good sides - represents a decent return from the opening two matches going into Saturday's home match with Boreham Wood, last season's beaten play-off finalists.

The starting line-up showed one change from the side that clinched a first ever victory at Dover on the opening day.

Jordan Maguire-Drew, a second half substitute at the Crabble, came in for his first Wrexham start in place of Stuart Beavon, who dropped to the substitutes bench.

Fylde, who beat Bromley 2-1 on the opening day, named former Wrexham trialist Gime Toure among the substitutes.

Wrexham made a positive start and went straight at Fylde, although the visitors began to come more into the game and prolific striker Danny Rowe, linked with a move to the Football League, saw his seventh minute effort deflected wide for a corner.

A good move by the Reds led to Luke Young putting a cross into the danger zone and Zaine Francis-Angol almost put through his own goal as his sliced clearance fell wide.

Fylde suffered a blow in the 16th minute when big centre-back Jordan Tunnicliffe was forced off with an injury and had to be replaced by Arlen Birch.

Very few chances had been created but Fylde, looking to get the ball down and play football, had a fantastic opportunity to break the deadlock when Ryan Croasdale was put through on goal but Reds keeper Rob Lainton pulled off a fantastic save.

It was end to end and James Jennings whipped in a cross but Mike Fondop's header cleared the bar with a good chance for Wrexham.

Danny Philliskirk volleyed wide as Fylde began to gain the upper hand but Wrexham almost took the lead in first half added time.

Maguire-Drew picked up Akil Wright's headed clearance and ran from his own half, beating two defenders before unleashing a shot that only just cleared Jay Lynch's bar.

Fylde immediately countered and James Hardy headed wide from a good position after his first effort was saved by Lainton, but it remained goalless at the break.

Wrexham made a lively start to the second half and Neil Byrne almost headed Young's cross into his own net, while Manny Smith was unable to connect with the resulting corner.

The Reds continued to press and thought they'd gone ahead on 56 minutes when Paul Rutherford headed home Maguire-Drew's superb cross but the midfielder was in an offside position.

Fylde went close themselves when Lainton made a fantastic point blank save to deny Philliskirk who got on the end of Francis-Angol's cross.

Beavon replaced Fondop on the hour mark and the action quickly returned to the other end, James Jennings pulling the ball back from the by-line following good work by Maguire-Drew and Kevin Roberts, still looking for his first Wrexham goal, first over from inside the area.

Rutherford was denied by Lynch as Wrexham heaped on the pressure and Young wasn't far away with a long range effort.

Mark Carrington came on for Luke Summerfield after 71 minutes while Shaun Pearson was just too high with a header from Maguire-Drew's corner.

The last change saw Rekeil Pyke replace Maguire-Drew late on and Lainton denied Rowe, but both sides had to settle for a point in the end.