MIKE FONDOP and Jordan Maguire-Drew were on target as Wrexham beat Maidenhead United 2-0 and took over at the top of the National League.

Wrexham caused Maidenhead a lot of problems in the first half when they poured forward, the Reds proving to be a real threat in the final third.

It led to Fondop scoring his third goal of the season and Maguire-Drew netting for the second game in a row with a stunning strike.

Lowly Maidenhead, still looking for their first win, gave it a good go in the second half and had chances but Wrexham's defence held firm as the Reds kept a fourth consecutive clean sheet, the first time the club has started a season with four shut-outs.

Sam Ricketts' side have looked good attacking-wide and defensively, and a return of 10 points from a possible 12 marks a fantastic start.

The starting line-up showed three changes from the side that beat Boreham Wood.

Two were enforced as Kevin Roberts (ill) and Luke Young (dead leg) were not passed fit after they were both forced off during the weekend win.

Mark Carrington was brought into the team at right-back with Paul Rutherford taking his place in midfield, while the other change was up front.

Rekeil Pyke, who came off the bench and scored his professional goal three days earlier, made his first start of the season in place of Stuart Beavon.

Beavon was named among the substitutes along with Nicky Deverdics and Chris Holroyd, the duo finally named in the squad after missing the start of the campaign through injury.

Maidenhead made a lively start and Nana Owusu's tame effort was gathered by Reds keeper Rob Lainton who did even better to tip Max Worsfold's shot around the post.

Luke Summerfield drove into the area and failed to hit the target with Wrexham's first chance but the Reds, coming more into the game, took the lead in the 14th minute.

Jordan Maguire-Drew lofted a dangerous ball into the box that goalkeeper Carl Pentney was unable to claim under Pyke's challenge and Fondop fired into the net.

Wrexham were looking a big threat when they attacked.

Shaun Pearson also scored with a header, although the whistle had already been blown for foul, but Wrexham made it 2-0 after 27 minutes.

Maguire-Drew had the ball outside the area and he found the top corner with a stunning curling effort from 25 yards out.

Wrexham weren't done and they continued to press for more goals.

Akil Wright was unable to keep his drive down while Fondop headed narrowly wide from Carrington's cross.

There was a let-off for Wrexham when Adrian Clifton headed against the bar following a cross from the left.

Ryan Bird should also have done better with a close range header that failed to hit the target while Paul Rutherford was booked just before the break following a late challenge, receiving Wrexham's first yellow card after three-and-a-half games of the season.

Maidenhead had made an encouraging end to the first half as Wrexham dropped off and it was end to end when the teams returned for the second period.

Rutherford was just unable to get on the end of Summerfield's through ball as Pentley cleared his lines while Maidenhead were trying to find a way back into the game but Wrexham were happy to soak up the pressure and play on the counter-attack.

Ricketts made his first change in the 65th minute with Holroyd replacing Maguire-Drew and Maidenhead came close but Lainton turned Owusu's drive behind for a corner.

Holroyd was quickly in the action, finding Pyke who fired wide of the mark.

Ex-Wrexham midfielder Christian Smith couldn't keep his shot down at the other end while Beavon took over from Pyke on 72 minutes.

There was a golden opportunity for Clifton who steered his header wide with only Lainton to beat while Kelly also fired wide from a good position.

Deverdics replaced Fondop in Wrexham's final change but there was no change to the scoring as Wrexham left York Road with three points.

Maidenhead United (4-4-2): Pentney; Clerima, Obileye, Smith, Cole; Owusu (Kelly 68), Odametey, Comley, Worsfold; Bird, Clifton (Sheckleford 83). Subs not used: Alves, Akintunde, Mulley.

Wrexham (4-3-3): Lainton; Carrington, Manny Smith, Pearson, Jennings; Summerfield, Wright, Rutherford; Maguire-Drew (Holroyd 65), Fondop (Deverdics 79), Pyke (Beavon 72). Subs not used: Dibble, Tharme.

Referee: Tom Reeves.

Attendance: 1,584 (376 from Wrexham).