BRIAN FLYNN'S first game as interim manager ended in a 1-0 win against Ebbsfleet United at The Racecourse.

Flynn, assistant to Bryan Hughes who was sacked after Wrexham were beaten 3-2 at Fylde on Tuesday and still in the relegation zone, saw the Reds end an eight game winless run with victory over the Fleet thanks to substitute Paul Rutherford's superb second half strike.

Due to be at the helm for two games while Wrexham look to appoint Hughes' successor, Flynn's side climbed out of the bottom four on goal difference after picking up a third win of the season against fellow strugglers Ebbsfleet.

The starting line-up showed one change from the side that lost at Fylde in Hughes' last game at the helm with Mark Carrington coming in for Michael Chambers in a straight swap as Flynn kept faith with a 3-4-3 for system.

Ebbsfleet had the first sight of goal as Tyler Cordner's header deflected off target for a corner.

James Ball cleared the crossbar with another Ebbsfleet opportunity with Wrexham responding through Jake Lawlor's effort which fell wide from Luke Young's corner.

An even better chance fell to Wrexham following Jazzi Barnum-Bobb's run upfield and offload to Mark Harris who fired wide from a good position.

Harris saw another shot deflected wide for a corner which came to nothing and he also had a header saved by keeper Jordan Holmes.

Flynn made two changes for the start of the second half with Bobby Grant and Rutherford replacing Harris and Devonte Redmond.

Grant was quickly in the thick of the action and his shot from Barnum-Bobb's lay-off was blocked by a defender.

Wrexham were presented with an excellent chance to take the lead after Shaun Pearson was pulled back in the area by Stephen Obileye and referee Andrew Kitchen pointed to the penalty spot.

However, Grant's 63rd minute spot-kick was saved by Holmes.

JJ Hooper, who missed the previous six games through injury, replaced James Jennings in a bold final Reds' change.

And Hooper had an immediate impact as he had a hand in the goal as Wrexham took the lead.

A well worked move led to Hooper playing in Rutherford whose brilliant curling shot from just outside the area gave Holmes no chance.

Hooper wasn't far away from doubling Wrexham's lead as his effort fell narrowly wide and with Ebbsfleet pressing for an equaliser, former Reds striker Alex Reid headed wide in added time.

However, Wrexham held on for a much needed three points.

Wrexham (3-4-3): Dibble; Lawlor, Pearson, Carrington; Barnum-Bobb, Summerfield, Young, Jennings (Hooper 70); Redmond (Rutherford 46), Oswell, Harris (Grant 46). Subs not used: Szczepaniak, Wright.

Ebbsfleet United (4-2-3-1): Holmes; Wilson, King (Biabi 86), Cordner, Grimes; Sutherland, Obileye; Weston, Ball (Egan 68), Reid; Umerah (Ugwu 60). Subs not used: Palmer, Achuba.

Referee: Andrew Kitchen.

Attendance: 3,627 (47 from Ebbsfleet).