WREXHAM beat Weston-super-Mare 2-0 to ensure there was no FA Cup shock at the Woodspring Stadium.

It was a professional performance from Sam Ricketts' side who made it through to the second round thanks to goals from Luke Summerfield and Stuart Beavon after the interval.

Playing in the first round for the first time in four seasons, National League leaders Wrexham were expected to progress against a Weston side who are bottom of National League South but showing signs of a revival in recent weeks.

But a comfortable victory means Wrexham remain in the famous cup competition as well as challenging for promotion to the Football League.

Ricketts, rarely for him, named an unchanged starting line-up for the cup clash.

Weston created the first chance with just two minutes on the clock with Ben Swallow firing over the bar from a good position but Wrexham quickly responded and a good move led to Kevin Roberts supplying a teasing cross that Kevin Holroyd was close to meeting.

Jake Lawlor's effort from a corner fell wide as Wrexham began to dominate and Holroyd came close with a low drive from Paul Rutherford's pass following a slip in the Weston defence.

Another Lawlor header drifted wide from Luke Summerfield's corner while Roberts made a smart block to keep out Gethyn Hill's effort at the other end.

Wrexham, enjoying the majority of the possession, created a good opportunity just before the break but Stuart Beavon failed to hit the target from inside the area after Luke Young's cross was only partially cleared.

Both sides had prised half chances but it remained all-square at the break.

However, Wrexham took the lead in the 51st minute.

Louis McGrory failed to deal with a ball forward and Beavon played in Summerfield who slotted past Luke Purnell to register his second goal of the season.

Brad Walker brought a comfortable save out of Purnell but Weston quickly regrouped and came close to equalising.

Hill's shot was saved by Reds keeper Rob Lainton with Swallow putting the follow up over and Alex Byrne also failed to hit the target with a header as the Seagulls responded in positive fashion.

Ricketts made his first change on 57 minutes with Akil Wright replacing Walker, and Wrexham had another sight up goal when Summerfield played a corner out to Paul Rutherford who was just too high with his shot.

Rekeil Pyke came on for Chris Holroyd after 66 minutes and Jason Pope fired wide for Weston who remained in the contest.

Wrexham needed a second goal to make the game safe and Pyke fired wide with Rutherford also failing to hit the target with another opportunity.

But the Reds made it 2-0 in the 81st minute, Beavon volleying the ball home at the second attempt after his first effort was parried by Purnell.

Beavon was replaced by Nicky Deverdics with two minutes remaining and Wrexham saw out the game to secure their place in the second round.

Weston-super-Mare (4-4-2): Purnell ; McGory (Phipps 83), Pope, Bower, Nurse; Swallow (Llewellyn 69), Cane, Diallo, Bnyrne; Welch (Lucas 13), Hill. Subs not used: Edwards, Goddard, Barker, Kingston.

Wrexham (4-3-3): Lainton, Roberts, Lawlor, Pearson, Jennings; Young, Walker (Wright 57), Summerfield; Rutherford, Holroyd (Pyke 66), Beavon (Deverdics 88). Subs not used: Dibble, Maguire-Drew, Fondop, Carrington.

Referee: Leigh Dougherty.

Attendance: 1,770.