WREXHAM conceded a late equaliser as the Reds drew 1-1 against Chesterfield at The Proact Stadium.

Brad Walker's first half penalty handed Sam Ricketts' side the lead but the hosts hit back in added time to earn a share of the spoils.

Although they never clinched victory, Wrexham are now unbeaten in seven games in all competitions and remain one point behind leaders Salford in third position.

The starting line-up showed three changes from the side that beat Harrogate in the FA Cup four days earlier.

Captain Shaun Pearson returned to the defence in place of James Jennings while Paul Rutherford and Mike Fondop were preferred to Jordan Maguire-Drew and Stuart Beavon in attack.

A second minute Tom Denton effort was saved by Rob Lainton and Zavon Hines also failed to hit the target as the hosts made the early running.

It had been a nervy start by Wrexham but the Reds took the lead in the 21st minute.

Will Evans handled Brad Walker's through-ball in the area to earn Wrexham a second penalty of the season.

With regular spot-kick taker Luke Summerfield missing through injury, Walker assumed responsibility and he made no mistake from 12 yards.

Fondop headed wide as Wrexham pressed for a second goal and Akil Wright's drive was tipped over the bar by Callum Burton.

Chesterfield responded with Evans' free-kick falling narrowly wide while Rekeil Pyke failed to hit the target at the other end with a header.

The Spireites, who had a penalty appeal for an alleged handball offence turned down, went close when Joe Rowley fired over following Hines' pull-back while Luke Young wasn't far away from finding the net for Wrexham in added time.

Jennings replaced Mark Carrington for the start of the second half and Wright only just cleared the bar with a volley.

Beavon took over from Fondop on the hour mark but Chesterfield almost levelled when a corner fell for Jerome Binnom-Williams whose goal-bound effort was blocked by team-mate Lee Shaw.

Ricketts made his final change with 15 minutes remaining as Chris Holroyd came on for Pyke but Wrexham needed Lainton to keep them ahead as he pulled off a superb save to deny Hanani Amantchi.

Lainton also stopped Curtis Weston's header on his goal line while Hines' shot across goal just needed a touch as Chesterfield pushed for an equaliser.

There was more pressure from the hosts as a goalmouth scramble led to a corner which was headed over by Laurence Maguire.

However, Chesterfield made it 1-1 in the first minute of injury time.

Maguire found Jonathan Smith who headed past Lainton to earn his side a draw.

Chesterfield (4-4-2): Burton; Evans (Shaw 46), Hollis, Maguire, Muggleton (Kiwomya 76); Rowley, Weston, Smith, Binnom-Williams; Denton (Amantchi 59), Hines. Subs not used: Fortune, Reid.

Wrexham (4-3-3): Lainton; Roberts, Lawlor, Pearson, Carrington (Jennings 46); Wright, Walker, Young; Rutherford, Fondop (Beavon 59), Pyke (Holroyd 75). Subs: Dibble, Maguire-Drew.

Referee: Christopher Pollard.

Attendance: 5,662 (1,520 from Wrexham).