AKIL WRIGHT scored the only goal as Wrexham beat Chesterfield 1-0 to stay top of the National League.

The midfielder's 62nd minute goal extended the Reds' unbeaten run to six games, with five coming under Bryan Hughes who was appointed manager last month.

The starting line-up showed three changes from the side that drew 1-1 at Gateshead in the previous outing.

Rob Lainton, Shaun Pearson and Stuart Beavon all returned from injury in place of Christian Dibble, Mark Carrington and Jason Oswell.

Carrington was missing with a thigh problem and with Kevin Roberts only making the substitutes bench after a stint of his own on the sidelines, Kieran Kennedy, who has deputised for Pearson in the heart of defence, switched to right-back.

Wrexham made a lively start and James Jennings fired over the bar before Beavon had the ball taken off his toe as he went to shoot after Pearson got on the end of a corner.

But Chesterfield came even closer in the 19th minute when Wrexham failed to clear their lines and Curtis Weston's powerful effort flicked the top of the crossbar.

Marc-Antoine Fortune also had a shot blocked in the area by Pearson but Wrexham responded well and former Reds keeper Shwan Jalal made a superb save at the feet of Ben Tollitt to deny the winger following Beavon's through ball.

It remained goalless at the break and both teams continued to cancel each other out in the second half.

But Wrexham broke the deadlock in the 62nd minute.

Luke Young crossed from the right and Wright headed past Jalal.

Buoyed by the goal, Wrexham continued to press and Tollitt did well down the left and pulled the ball back for Beavon who was unable to connect, and the striker was then taken off for Oswell.

Chesterfield came close to an equaliser as Ellis Chapman's shot was tipped behind by Lainton for a corner from which Will Evans' header was cleared off the line by Oswell.

Wrexham countered and Tollitt stretched his legs as he beat a couple of defenders, the cross was not cleared and Paul Rutherford fired wide.

Chris Holroyd immediately replaced Tollitt and Wrexham saw out the game to register another important win in the push for promotion.

Wrexham (4-2-3-1): Lainton; Kennedy, Lawlor, Pearson, Jennings; Walker, Young; Rutherford, Wright, Tollitt (Holroyd 81); Beavon (Oswell 66). Subs: Dibble, Roberts, Stockton.

Chesterfield (3-5-2): Jalal; Evans, Hollis, Yarney; Smith, Weston, Weir (Shaw 70), Chapman (Reid 81), Binnom-Williams; Boden, Fortune (Denton 60). Subs not used: Maguire, Anyon.

Referee: Carl Brook.

Attendance: 7,106 (576 from Chesterfield).