WREXHAM'S 10th season in non-league ended with a 0-0 draw against AFC Fylde at The Racecourse.

Needing a miracle to force their way into the play-offs following an awful run of form, Wrexham were unable to finish with a win but they at least halted a run of three successive defeats.

Wrexham, with manager Andy Davies taking charge for the final time, finished 10th in the National League, three points away from the play-offs, while Fylde did enough to seal their place in the top seven and extend their season.

It has been a frustrating end to a campaign that promised to much for Wrexham and the attention at The Racecourse now turns to appointing a new manager.

Fylde were quick out of the blocks and former Reds midfielder Sam Finley cleared the bar but Wrexham should have taken a second minute lead.

Akil Wright played in Scott Quigley who beat a defender but fired wide with only goalkeeper Jay Lynch to beat.

Another ex-Wrexham player, Jonny Smith, saw his effort turned around the post by Chris Dunn while Davies was forced into an early change with Mackreth replacing the injured Quigley.

Mackreth looked lively following his introduction and after winning the ball off Jordan Tunicliffe in the Fylde half, he was pulled back by the centre-half who was only shown a yellow card by referee Alan Young.

James Jennings' free-kick was saved by Lynch, but Wrexham nearly fell behind following Dunn's error.

The goalkeeper mis-kicked his clearance on the edge of the area but Smith's lob from an acute angle was cleared off the line by Shaun Pearson.

Fylde had the first opportunity of the second half but Smith was denied by Dunn, Wrexham immediately went upfield and Paul Rutherford's shot struck the post with Scott Boden unable to turn the loose ball home.

The visitors came close to breaking the deadlock when James Hardy set up Lewis Montrose who somehow failed to hit the target from six yards, and Sam Wedgbury came to the rescue as he cleared Jake Lawlor's header off the line from a corner.

Dunn made a smart save to keep out Simon Grand's effort but Wrexham were still in the contest and Manny Smith headed wide from Rutherford's corner.

Nicky Deverdics replaced Mackreth in the 77th minute but was caught in possession and Dunn saved from Finley.

Fylde were left with 10 men five minutes from time after defender Luke Burke fouled Rutherford and was shown a second yellow card.

Kelly was thwarted by Lynch as Wrexham made a late rally but it finished goalless

Wrexham (4-4-2): Dunn; Roberts, Manny Smith, Pearson, Jennings; Rutherford, Wedgbury, Wright, Kelly; Quigley (Mackreth 10, Deverdics 77), Boden. Subs not used: Dibble, Raven, Ainge.

AFC Fylde (4-4-1-1): Lynch; Burke, Tunicliffe (Lawlor 25), Grand, Francis-Angol; Bond, Montrose, Finley, Smith; Hardy (Muldoon 59); Rowe (Taylor 88). Subs not used: Blinkhorn, Jones.