WREXHAM'S play-off hopes are hanging by a thread following a major set-back at Ebbsfleet United.

The Reds, with just two points from their previous three outings, needed a win to get their challenge for a top seven finish back on track.

It was time to step up to the plate as Wrexham headed to in-form promotion rivals Ebbsfleet for the first of four huge games.

Andy Davies had urged his players to rise to the challenge but Wrexham just didn't deliver as they lost 3-0.

There was plenty of attacking endeavour from both sides in the first half with defences on top, but Ebbsfleet stepped up a gear after the break.

Ebbsfleet, who had come from 2-0 down to hold leaders Macclesfield to a 2-2 draw at the weekend, caused problems going forward and they were clinical with their chances as they scored three times without reply.

Wrexham were less of a threat on the attack and just could not find a way back into a contest that they really needed to take something from.

The second defeat in four games means Wrexham have dropped to seventh position, just two points ahead of Dover Athletic, the side immediately outside the play-offs, who also have a game in hand on the Reds.

Ebbsfleet, now unbeaten in nine games, remain ninth but with games in hand and they are also in contention for the top seven.

Wrexham's challenge is fading and in danger of letting the good work go to waste so it really is win at all costs at home to Dagenham and Redbridge on Saturday.

Following a goalless first half, Ebbsfleet took the lead in the 51st minute.

Jack Powell played in Corey Whitely who hammered the ball home, although Chris Dunn will be disappointed to be beaten at his near post.

Ebbsfleet, buoyed by the goal, continued to press and they doubled their lead in the 84th minute.

Coulson laid off to Danny Kedwell who got a shot away that found the far corner of Dunn's net.

It got worse for Wrexham who conceded a third goal in added time, Coulson smashing the ball past Dunn, to complete a miserable night for the Reds.