WREXHAM beat Barrow 2-1 to kick-off the 2019-20 campaign with an opening day victory.

Bryan Hughes' side trailed at the break but were much better in the second half where goals from JJ Hooper and Bobby Grant sealed three points.

Barrow looked the livelier in the opening exchanges and had a couple of early efforts blocked for corners before the Bluebirds took a 14th minute lead.

Lewis Hardcastle delivered free-kick from the left and Josh Granite scored with a free header.

Wrexham, who had played a lot of long balls up to loan striker JJ Hooper, began to get a foothold in the game and Mark Harris' shot was deflected out for a throw-in, and Devonte Redmond had an effort deflected out for a corner.

The best Wrexham chance of the game arrived when Luke Young played the the ball out to Mark Carrington who beat his man and crossed for Hooper but the striker scuffed his shot and the ball fell wide.

However, Barrow almost doubled their lead just before the break following a Wrexham corner.

Patrick Brough led the charge upfield which finished with Angus Dior bringing an excellent save out of Christian Dibble.

There was another let-off for Wrexham as former Reds striker Scott Quigley failed to take a golden chance

Wrexham had the final opportunity of the first half as Hooper headed wide from Luke Summerfield's cross.

But the Reds equalised three minutes after the restart.

Summerfield's free-kick was nodded back across goal by James Jennings and Hooper headed home.

The goal really got Wrexham going and Harris' 25 yard drive was superbly tipped over by keeper Joel Dixon while Summerfield wasn't far away with a free-kick.

Wrexham continued to pressure and they took the lead in the 62nd minute.

Hooper held the ball up before crossing to the back post where Grant converted his header.

Another chance came when Summerfield's corner was headed back across goal by Jake Lawlor and Jennings was only just off target.

Harris was also sent clear by Hooper but couldn't keep his shot down while Sam Hird headed across goal from Barrow who were still in the contest.

Substitute Paul Rutherford thought he'd scored a third for Wrexham after Hooper's effort as saved by Dixon but the goal was disallowed for offside, before Angus went close for the visitors, but the Reds had done enough.

Wrexham (4-2-3-1): Dibble; Carrington, Lawlor, Pearson, Jennings; Young, Summerfield; Grant, Redmond (Rutherford 75), Harris (McIntosh 86); Hooper (Oswell 90). Subs not used: Szczepaniak, Chambers.

Barrow (4-3-3): Dixon; Barry, Granite, Hird, Brough; Rooney, Taylor, Hardcastle (Graves 67); Angus, Quigley (Harrison 67), Kay (Hindle 71). Subs not used: Brown, Dyson.

Referee: Rick Hulme

Attendance: 5,941 (283 from Barrow).