WREXHAM have had tougher tests in pre-season but Bryan Hughes took a lot of positives out of his side's 2-0 win against Curzon Ashton.

Second half goals from strikers Leighton McIntosh and Jason Oswell secured victory over the National League North outfit in the Reds' penultimate pre-season friendly.

Hughes took the opportunity to field players who weren't involved in Wednesday's 3-1 defeat to Stoke City and only goalkeeper goalkeeper Cristian Dibble kept his place as he made 10 changes to the starting XI.

Summer signing Devonte Redmond and Doug Tharme returned from injury while the likes of Mark Carrington, Luke Young, Oswell, Matty Sargent and Jack Thorn - unused substitutes against Stoke - and scholars Bobby Beaumont and Pat Jones were also included.

Wrexham produced a solid display, raising their game after the break to seal victory, and Hughes felt the players on show gave a good account of themselves.

"It was a good work-out," said Hughes.

"I said that the team that played against Stoke would get a rest and the other lads would be looking to get 90 minutes so it is important to give them that under their belts.

"Overall there were a lot of positives; another clean sheet, we won the game, a young boy 16-years-old in Pat making his debut, Devonte and Doug coming back from injury so loads of positives.

"At this stage it is just about making sure everyone is up to speed and ready for the start."

Hughes reverted to the tried and tested 4-3-3 formation and he felt Wrexham responded well.

"We have been working on the 3-4-3 over the last few weeks but I flipped it back to the 4-3-3," said Hughes.

"There is not much change, just that the sweeper plays in front instead of behind in the shape.

"I thought we looked comfortable. The pitch was a little bit sticky and we tried to move it as quick as we could.

"We had spells in the game where we were on top, they didn't really hurt us and overall it was satisfying."

Curzon almost took an eighth minute lead as Michael Elstone clipped the top of the Wrexham crossbar with an effort from outside the area.

Wrexham responded with Jones, a first year scholar given his chance with the senior side, going close with a curling shot and Bobby Beaumont's header from Luke Young's corner comfortably saved by keeper Cameron Mason.

Back came Curzon and former Wrexham captain Rob Evans' goalbound drive was blocked by Doug Tharme.

Mark Carrington wasn't far away from opening the scoring after getting on the end of McIntosh's cross and Oswell got a touch to Luke Young's free-kick but the ball dropped wide.

But Wrexham came even closer to breaking the deadlock four minutes before the break as McIntosh brought two saves out of Mason in quick succession, although he could have passed to a team-mate instead of going for goal.

However, Wrexham took the lead eight minutes into the second half.

Young was brought down in the area by Moussa Samassa and McIntosh converted the resulting penalty.

McIntosh headed wide from substitute Mark Harris' cross as Wrexham pressed for a second goal and the striker was off target with another attempt on goal.

But Wrexham made it 2-0 in the 85th minute.

Harris' shot was parried by substitute keeper Liam Lovell and Oswell put the loose ball away to secure victory.

Curzon Ashton (4-3-3): Mason (Lovell 83); Cooke (Wallen 69), Samassa, Shaw, Askew (Sloan 46); Merrill (Worrall 62), Wroe (Butterworth 72), Evans; Mantack, Elstone (Sinclair 62), Banister.

Wrexham (4-3-3): Dibble (Szczepaniak 53); Carrington, Beaumont, Tharme, Thorn; Young, Sargent, Redmond (Harris 68); Jones, Oswell, McIntosh. Subs not used: Jennings, Pearson, Lawlor, Summerfield, Grant, Rutherford.

Referee: Tom Parsons.