WREXHAM produced a battling performance but Stoke City's class came through in the end.

Bryan Hughes' side recovered from an early set-back by equalising through in-form Bobby Grant after 26 minutes, and the Reds continued to give a good account of themselves in the first half.

But Championship side Stoke stepped up a gear after the break and showed why they are a club that has ambitions of returning to the Premier League by putting the game beyond Wrexham with two unanswered goals to seal a 3-1 victory.

Despite losing to a team playing higher up in the system, this was another good test for Wrexham and Hughes will be especially pleased with the first half display, albeit disappointed it didn't continue after the interval.

Although midfielder Devonte Redmond, who picked up a thigh injury during the training camp in Portugal, was not risked again, Hughes still named a strong starting XI for the visit of the Potters.

Stoke made the early running and they took a fifth minute lead.

Thibaud Verlinden set off on a run and got around the back of centre-back Jake Lawlor, and he delivered a superb cross that was nodded home by Lee Gregory from close range.

However, Wrexham almost equalised immediately as the Reds pushed up field, Grant getting on the end of JJ Hooper's cross but the ball bounced over the bar.

Stoke, enjoying the majority of possession as expected, saw Tyrese Campbell's curling effort fall wide of the target but Wrexham grabbed a 26th minute equaliser.

Hooper and Mark Harris forced a mistake by goalkeeper Federici outside of the area, Hooper sent in a cross from outside the area and picked out Grant who headed into an empty net.

Grant, who has made an impressive start to pre-season and also netted in Saturday's win at Telford, saw a shot blocked by a defender after he was teed up by Shaun Pearson when Stoke failed to clear their lines.

Wrexham had responded well to going behind early on and Hooper headed wide, although Stoke weren't far away as Campbell only just cleared the bar from Gregory's pull-back.

Stoke had the first sight of goal when the second half recommenced with Verlinden's drive failing to hit the target and Stephen Ward also fired over.

Potters boss Nathan Jones had already started to make changes when Wales internationals Joe Allen and Sam Vokes entered the fray, and the latter was unable to test Reds' goalkeeper Christian Dibble following his introduction.

But Stoke reclaimed their lead in the 68th minute.

Benik Afube broke through and although he was denied by Dibble, and it looked as though the striker had committed a foul, Vokes was on hand to put the loose ball into the net.

Dibble did well to turn Jordan Cousins' drive behind for a corner before Hughes made a change on 75 minutes with Leighton McIntosh replacing Harris.

Another good save from Dibble prevented Sam Clucas from scoring and Vokes failed to convert his follow-up.

But Vokes made no mistake with his next opportunity, heading home a cross from the by-line to make it 3-1 on 79 minutes.

Dibble was being kept busy and made further saves from Vokes and Clucas but Stoke were unable to add to their tally.

Wrexham (3-4-3): Dibble; Lawlor, Pearson, Barton; Rutherford, Summerfield, Wright, Jennings; Grant, Hooper, Harris (McIntosh 75). Subs not used: Szczepaniak, Young, Oswell, Carrington, Sargent, Tharme, Thorn.

Stoke City (4-4-2): Federici; Edwards (Smith 46), Batth (Shawcross 60), Martins Indi (Lindsay 60), Ward (McClean 60); Dunwoody (Cousins 60), Woods (Allen 60), Sorensen (Clucas 60), Verlinden (Powell 60); Campbell (Jarvis 43, Vokes 60), Gregory (Afube 60).

Referee: Peter Bankes.

Attendance: 3,196 (744 from Stoke).

Man of the Match: Goalkeeper Christian Dibble produced some vital second half saves.

Stoke stepped up a gear after the break and although they scored twice to seal victory, Dibble stopped the Potters from scoring more.