WREXHAM suffered a 1-0 defeat against Fleetwood Town in their second pre-season friendly.

Bryan Hughes' Reds gave a good account of themselves against the League One side at their Poolfoot Farm training ground and came close to breaking the deadlock before conceding the only goal late on.

Fleetwood dominated possession in the early stages although Wrexham striker JJ Hooper's shot was blocked and deflected out for a corner which came to nothing.

Josh Morris brought an excellent save out of Reds keeper Christian Dibble after being played in by Conor McAleny with the first clear cut chance of the game for the hosts.

Wrexham then enjoyed a good spell and Hooper's header from trialist Jazzi Barnum-Bobb's cross was gathered by keeper Alex Cairns who also saved from Mark Harris but the striker was offside.

Luke Summerfield cleared the bar from outside the area with another effort while Kyle Dempsey wasn't far away for Fleetwood with the final opportunity of the first half.

Harris fired over the bar for Wrexham at the start of the second half but Fleetwood, who named a different side for the second half, came even closer as Dibble produced a superb save to keep out Daniel Mooney's close range effort.

Wrexham responded with Shaun Pearson's header from Luke Young's free-kick saved by Matt Gilks.

Fleetwood's substitute goalkeeper Gilks also thwarted Wrexham striker Mike Fondop who was put through on goal by fellow replacement Matty Sargent, and the Reds went close from the resulting corner.

New signing Adam Barton came on for his Reds' debut but Fleetwood took the lead 10 minutes from time.

Trialist goalkeeper Dawid Szczepaniak's scuffed clearance fell for Mooney who put the ball into the danger-zone and Michael Fowler converted what turned out to be the winning goal.

Fleetwood first half: Andrew, Biggins, Burns, Dempsey, Hunter, McAleny, Morgan, Josh Morris, Sheron, Smith.

Second half: Gilks, Peter Clarke, Eastham, Saunders, Southam-Hales, Mooney, Sowerby, Matete, Eddie Clarke, Shayden Morris, Baggley. Subs: Crellin, Holgate, Hill, Rydel, Fowler.

Wrexham: Dibble (Szczepaniak 70); Barnum-Bobb (Thorn 70), Pearson (Beaumont 60), Chambers, Jennings (Carrington 46); Summerfield (Redmond 46), Young (Barton 70), Wright (Sargent 60); Lopes (Grant 60), Hooper (Fondop 60), Harris (Rutherford 60). Sub not used: McGregor.

Referee: B Toner.