WREXHAM ended a run of two successive defeats by beating relegated Braintree Town 3-1 at The Racecourse.

Bobby Grant's second goal for Wrexham was cancelled out before the break by the Iron but second half strikes by Shaun Pearson and Akil Wright secured a welcome three points for the promotion chasing Reds'

Bryan Hughes side remain fourth in the National League, four points behind new leaders Salford City with four games to go.

The starting line-up showed four changes from the side that lost at Ebbsfleet the previous weekend.

Luke Young, Bobby Grant, Chris Holroyd and Stuart Beavon came into the side in place of James Jennings, who missed training in the week due to illness, Kemy Agustien, Jermaine McGlashan and Anthony Spyrou.

Jennings and McGlashan made the substitutes bench but Agustien and Spyrou were omitted from the squad.

Wrexham created an early chance but Grant headed wide from Kevin Roberts cross.

Hughes was forced into a 10th minute change as centre-back Jake Lawlor went off off injured following a reckless challenge by Sven Karic and replaced by Kieran Kennedy, while Grant fired across the face of goal with another chance after being played in by Beavon.

But Wrexham took the lead after 18 minutes.

Shaun Pearson laid the ball off to Grant in the area and he found the back of the net despite the best efforts of goalkeeper Ben Killip for his second Reds goal.

Akil Wright saw a deflected effort blocked by Killip as Wrexham attempted to build on their lead but Braintree equalised four minutes before the break following poor defending.

Wrexham failed to deal with Karic's long throw and Lainton could have done better before Korry Henry smashed the ball home from close range.

The Reds regrouped and Pearson's effort was saved on the line by Killip while the Reds were unable to convert following a goalmouth scramble late in the first half.

Wright fired wide from Beavon's pass less than 30 seconds after the restart and although Rob Atkinson struck the post at the other end, he was in an offside position.

Holroyd saw a shot deflected behind for a corner as the action switched back to the other end and Pearson's header also went wide following the intervention of a defender.

Another Grant strike deflected wide but Wrexham reclaimed the lead following the resulting corner in the 60th minute.

Young sent in the flag-kick and Pearson scored with a powerful header.

It got even better in the 67th minute as Wrexham took a 3-1 lead.

Young sent in a free-kick and Wright found the net with a back post header.

Jason Oswell replaced Beavon in Wrexham's second change and almost opened his account for Wrexham but the striker's header was parried on the line by Killip.

Jennings replaced Grant in the final change five minutes from time and Holroyd had an injury time goal ruled out for offside but Wrexham had already done enough.

Wrexham (4-3-3): Lainton; Roberts, Lawlor (Kennedy 10), Pearson, Pearson, Carrington; Rutherford, Young, Wright; Grant (Jennings 85), Beavon (Oswell 72), Holroyd. Subs not used: Dibble, McGlashan.

Braintree Town (4-1-2-3): Killip; Eleftheriou, Matsuzaka (Borg 46), Aktinson, Karic; Lyons-Foster; Richards, Sagaf (Smith 90); Eyoma, Henry, Allen (Cerlli 66). Subs not used: Temple, Eze.

Referee: Simon Mather.

Attendance: 4,221 (22 from Braintree).