WREXHAM lost 1-0 in their top of the table clash with Leyton Orient at Brisbane Road.

It was Wrexham's first defeat under Bryan Hughes, as the six game unbeaten run came to an end, and Orient replaced the Reds as National League leaders.

Hughes named the same side that started the win against Chesterfield the previous weekend.

There was a switch on the substitutes bench with the fit-again Bobby Grant replacing Chris Holoryd, but there was no place in the squad for new signing Jermaine McGlashan as international clearance had not been received.

There was a good early chance for Orient after Wrexham were unable to clear a corner but Craig Clay shot narrowly wide.

Hughes was forced into a sixth minute change as Brad Walker was forced off with an injury with Grant taking his place in midfield.

Wrexham had their first sight off goal as Stuart Beavon flicked on Rob Lainton's clearance and Ben Tollitt shrugged off Marvin Ekpiteta but the winger fired wide with just goalkeeper Dean Brill to beat.

Former Reds loan man Jordan Maguire-Drew wasn't far away with a volley from the edge of the area while Grant was off target at the other end.

Jamie Turley couldn't keep his header down for Orient and as the game swung from end to end, Grant's low drive was comfortably saved by Brill.

Orient should have taken the lead two minutes before the break but top scorer Macauley Bonne headed wide from a great position after meeting Sam Ling's cross.

Lainton made a brave save at the feet of Ling at the start of the second half while Wrexham responded with Tollitt's effort which was blocked in the area from Akil Wright's pull-back.

Orient enjoyed a spell of pressure but solid defending kept the hosts out and Hughes made his second change in the 70th minute with Jason Oswell replacing Beavon.

However, the O's took the lead two minutes later.

Wrexham failed to clear the danger and Ekpiteta fired past Lainton.

Cole Stockton replaced Tollitt with eight minutes remaining and the striker saw a powerful drive parried by keeper Brill in added time.

The equaliser never came and Wrexham suffered defeat.

Leyton Orient (3-5-2): Brill; Ekpiteta, Turley, Happe; Ling (Brophy 58), Clay, McAnuff, Maguire-Drew (Coulson 88), Widdowson; Simpson (Harrold 84), Bonne. Subs not used: Sargeant, Gorman.

Wrexham (4-2-3-1): Lainton; Kennedy, Lawlor, Pearson, Jennings; Walker (Grant 6), Young; Rutherford, Wright, Tollitt (Stockton 82); Beavon (Oswell 70). Subs not used: Dibble, Roberts.

Referee: James Oldham.

Attendance: 6,643 (931 from Wrexham).