COLE STOCKTON scored an injury time equaliser as Wrexham drew 1-1 at Gateshead.

It ended a run of four successive wins but meant Reds manager Bryan Hughes avoided a first defeat since taking charge earlier in the month.

Despite not picking up three points, Wrexham remain top of the National League with most of their title rivals on FA Trophy duty.

The starting line-up showed one change from the side that beat Boreham Wood four days earlier.

With goalkeeper Rob Lainton failing to recover from a shoulder injury sustained in the victory, meaning he missed his first league game of the season, Christian Dibble came into the side.

The inclusion of Dibble, who has warmed the substitutes bench all season with the exception of two FA Trophy appearances, meant Hughes signed Luke Simpson ahead of kick-off and the shot-stopper was named on the substitutes bench.

There was an early chance for Gateshead when a ball across goal wasn't cleared and James Jennings made a timely block to deny Tinkler.

The Heed made the better start and were on top in the early exchanges, Scott Barrow firing into the side-netting after a cross wasn't cleared.

Connor Thomson shot wide as Gateshead continued to enjoy the better of the game, Wrexham unable to make anything stick up top.

Wrexham came more into it and were presented with a sight of goal after 27 minutes following a corner but Luke Young and Ben Tollitt got in each others way after Steven Rigg failed to clear his lines and the keeper gathered.

Jason Oswell headed off target and Mike Williamson sliced a clearance onto the roof of his own net as Wrexham continued their good spell.

But Gateshead took the lead in the 40th lead

Rigg played a one-two with Greg Olley and although Dibble saved his first effort, the striker headed the loose ball into the net to make it 1-0 to the Heed.

Wrexham saw a lot of the ball early in the second half but struggled to break down the hosts' stubborn back-line.

Hughes made his first change in the 69th minute with Nicky Deverdics replacing Akil Wright.

There was finally a chance for Wrexham when James Jennings played in Paul Rutherford who chipped keeper Aynsley Pears but also cleared the bar.

Brad Walker was unable to keep a shot down from a corner while Hughes made a double substitution on 78 minutes with Chris Holroyd and Cole Stockton replacing Mark Carrington and Tollitt.

Walker wasn't far away with a shot from just outside the area while Robbie Tinker made a superb challenge to deny Jason Oswell a shot at goal with Wrexham running out for Wrexham.

Hughes' side managed to level in the 93rd minute, Holroyd had a shot blocked in the area but Stockton poked the ball home after his first effort hit the post.

Gateshead (3-5-2): Pears; Kerr, Williamson, Mellish; Tinkler, Olley (Hunter 80), White, Forbes, Barrow; Thomson (Salkeld 84), Rigg. Subs not used: Foden, Maloney, Devitt.

Wrexham (4-2-3-1): Dibble; Carrington (Stockton 78), Lawlor, Kennedy, Jennings; Young, Walker; Rutherford, Wright (Deverdics 69), Tollitt (Holroyd 78); Oswell. Subs not used: Simpson, Tharme.

Referee: Paul Howard.

Attendance: 1,228 (525 from Wrexham).