BRYAN HUGHES' first game in charge of Wrexham ended in a 1-0 victory over Dagenham and Redbridge at The Racecourse.

Former Reds' midfielder Hughes, appointed manager after Graham Barrow stepped down on Tuesday, saw his side build on their victory over Maidenhead in the previous outing a fortnight earlier.

Substitute Stuart Beavon got the winning goal to keep Wrexham among the National League frontrunners.

Although Wrexham made a couple of promising early breaks, it never led to any chances.

The first effort on goal came in the 20th minute from Dagenham with Matt Robinson's shot deflected wide for a corner.

Ben Tollitt's cross wide fell wide for Wrexham who had a better chance when Pearson headed just off target from James Jennings' delivery.

The game lacked scoring opportunities but Wrexham came close to taking the lead in the 42nd minute.

Dagenham failed to clear their lines and Bobby Grant's strike was brilliantly turned onto the crossbar by keeper Elliott Justham, with Tollitt's follow-up deflected for a corner.

Wrexham made a lively start to the second half and Luke Young's shot blocked by defender after a good run into the area by Brad Walker.

Grant also fired wide while Hughes made a double substitution in the 57th minute with Stuart Beavon and Paul Rutherford replacing Cole Stockton and Grant.

Liam Gordon's effort was deflected wide for a Daggers corner and Kenny Clark brought a first save out of Wrexham goalkeeper Rob Lainton who also denied Liam Gordon.

Wrexham thought they'd taken the lead but James Jennings' powerful drive was brilliantly saved by Justham.

But the Reds went ahead in the 74th minute.

Young's shot from Jennings' cross was saved by Justham and Beavon put away the loose ball.

Akil Wright brought a save out of Justham with Wrexham looking to build on their lead and Shaun Pearson's header was cleared off the line.

Wright fired over the bar from a good position as the Reds continued to pressure and Justham saved from Young with Wright's follow up clearing the bar.

Wright put another shot wide after Justham saved from Beavon with Mark Carrington replacing Young in the 90th minute, and the Reds saw the game out.

Wrexham (4-3-3): Lainton; Roberts, Lawlor, Pearson, Jennings; Young (Carrington 90), Walker, Wright; Grant (Rutherford 57), Stockton (Beavon 57), Tollitt. Subs not used: Dibble, Holroyd.

Dagenham and Redbridge (3-5-2): Justham; Onariase, Clark, Goodliffe (Hardfield 80); Nunn, Robinson, Wright, Loft (McQueen 80), Gordon; Wilkinson (Kandi 46), Reynolds. Subs not used: Moore, Smith.

Referee: Marc Edwards.

Attendance: 5,366 (80 from Dagenham).