WREXHAM ended a run of five successive defeats after beating Maidenhead United 1-0 at The Racecourse.

The Reds, whose last victory came in the final game of 2018 against Solihull Moors, got back to winning ways with substitute Luke Young getting the second half winner.

Graham Barrow's side had failed to score in the five defeats and Young's strike was the first Reds goal after more than nine hours of drawing a blank.

The starting line-up showed two changes from the side that lost at Fylde the previous weekend.

James Jennings replaced Mark Carrington at left-back and Rekeil Pyke came in for Bobby Grant, who dropped to the substitutes bench.

Wrexham created the first chance inside the opening two minutes but Pyke headed wide from Luke Summerfield's cross.

Pyke was off target with a shot after beating his man in the box, but Wrexham came even closer when Summerfield's free-kick was partially cleared and Stuart Beavon's follow-up was parried by keeper Carl Pentney.

The chances dried but despite Wrexham getting into some good positions and Barrow was forced into a change three minutes before the break with Luke Young replacing the injured Summerfield.

Wrexham thought the long wait for a goal had ended just before the break when Beavon's header was palmed away by Pentney from Paul Rutherford's cross and Pyke put the loose ball away but his effort was ruled out for offside.

The Reds had shouts for a penalty turned down at the start of the second half as Pyke felt he had been pulled down by Alan Massey.

Pyke saw a curling shot fall wide and Jennings wasn't far away with another effort, while Young fed Pyke whose low drive flew across goal as Wrexham went even closer.

But the goal finally came in the 65th minute.

Pyke advanced to the by-line and his cross was slotted home by Young.

Jason Oswell was immediately brought on for Beavon and Wrexham continued to press for another goal to make the game safe without creating anything as Maidenhead held firm.

Pyke had an effort blocked and Oswell's shot was saved by Pentney while Chris Holroyd came on for Pyke in added time

Wrexham (4-1-4-1): Lainton; Roberts, Lawlor, Pearson, Jennings; Walker; Rutherford, Summerfield (Young 42), Wright, Pyke (Holroyd 90); Beavon (Oswell 66). Subs not used: Dibble, Grant.

Maidenhead United (4-1-4-1): Pentney; Nana-Twumasi, Kilgour, Massey, Steer; Comley; Nombe (Owusu 76), Upward, Odametey, Akintunde (Kelly 60); Clifton (Bird 68). Subs not used: Clerima, Alves.

Referee: Garreth Rhodes.

Attendance: Crowd is 4,323 (52 from Maidenhead),