WREXHAM suffered a fourth successive defeat and were knocked out of the FA Trophy after losing 1-0 at home to Leyton Orient.

Manager Graham Barrow took the opportunity to experiment for the second round tie but still named a strong side, although National League title rivals Orient, who finished the game with 10 men, came out on top.

The starting line-up showed four changes from the side that lost at Bromley in midweek.

Rob Lainton, Shaun Pearson, Paul Rutherford and Bobby Grant were rested, with Christian Dibble, Brad Walker - back at Wrexham after signing on loan until the end of the season - Mark Carrington and Cole Stockton coming into the team as Barrow switched to a 3-5-2 formation.

There was no place in the Wrexham squad for new signing Kieran Kennedy, who had not received international clearance after joining the Reds following his departure from Shrewsbury.

Orient made seven changes after losing 3-0 to Salford in their top of the table clash the previous weekend, top scorer Macauley Bonne a notable absentee.

The game took a while to get going with little incident in the opening exchanges but Wrexham almost took the lead with the first chance in the 17th minute.

The ball was played to Luke Summerfield who struck the post from 25 yards out.

Orient responded with Jordan Maguire-Drew, who returned to parent club Brighton and Hove Albion early from a loan spell at Wrexham in December before joining the U's, seeing an effort comfortably turned over the bar by Dibble.

Stockton was off target with a shot for Wrexham after James Jennings skipped past Myles Judd but chances at either end were few and far between.

Wrexham threatened when Akil Wright advanced to the by-line and pulled the ball back for Luke Young whose drive was blocked by Orient captain Charlie Lee, with penalty appeals for handball turned down.

James Alabi turned his man and was denied by Dibble with Orient's best opportunity in added time but it remained goalless at the break.

Young fired wide of the mark at the start of the second half and Jason Oswell was unable to turn home Mark Carrington's cross as Wrexham continued to press.

Stockton failed to hit the target with another sight of goal while Barrow made his first change on the hour mark with Rekeil Pyke replacing Oswell.

But Wrexham fell behind in the 63rd minute after Mark Carrington was adjudged to have brought down James Brophy in the area, Matt Harrold converting the resulting penalty.

Ben Tollitt replaced Wright and Orient were reduced to 10 men in the 79th minute when Judd was shown a second yellow card following a foul on Pyke.

Rutherford came on for Carrington in Wrexham's final change but Orient went close to a second goal with substitute Josh Koroma's shot only just falling the wrong side of the post.

Tollitt and Pyke both fired wide as Wrexham pressed for an equaliser but it was Orient who progressed to the third round.

Wrexham (3-5-2): Dibble; Lawlor, Walker, Roberts; Carrington (Rutherford 81), Young, Summerfield, Wright (Tollitt 76), Jennings; Oswell (Pyke 60), Stockton. Subs not used: Lainton, Holroyd.

Leyton Orient (4-4-2): Brill; Judd, Happe, Ekpiteta (Sweeney 16), Elokobi; Maguire-Drew (Koroma 75), Lawless, Lee, Brophy (Gorman 83); Harrold, Alabi. Subs not used: Sargent, Sotiriou.

Referee: Peter Gibbons.

Attendance: 1,949 (105 from Orient).