WREXHAM's five game unbeaten run in the National League came to an end as they began 2019 with a defeat at Salford City.

Without a league loss since going down against Leyton Orient at the end of November, Wrexham had performed well over Christmas and thrashed big spending Salford 5-1 on Boxing Day.

But Graham Barrow's side failed to it those heights and never got going in the rematch at Moor Lane.

Wrexham were on the back foot in the first half and the pressure told as Salford took the lead.

It could have been more than 1-0 at the break as Salford put the visitors under the cosh and although Wrexham made a good start to the second half and were getting on top, the Ammies went and doubled their lead.

Wrexham rallied but they were unable to find a way back into the contest and Salford gained revenge for their defeat six days earlier.

Despite losing, it was still been a productive festive period for Wrexham who remain second in the table, four points behind Orient with a game in hand.

Barrow named the same side for the fourth game in a row over the festive period, and the substitutes bench also remained unchanged from Saturday's win against Solihull.

Wrexham made a bright start and Stuart Beavon's second minute shot was blocked for a corner which came to nothing.

Danny Whitehead fired wide for Salford and Ibou Touray came even closer as he struck the crossbar.

Salford were enjoying a good spell of pressure and Matt Green brought a superb save out of Rob Lainton while Whitehead headed wide.

Wrexham weathered the storm and began to calm the game down, but Salford took the lead in the 23rd minute.

Tom Walker's free-kick wasn't cleared and Green slotted past Lainton.

Jake Lawlor headed wide from Luke Summerfield's free-kick but Wrexham were guilty of giving Salford too much time and space with Walker's effort saved by Lainton.

Wrexham were on the back foot far too often for Barrow's liking as Salford continued to press, Walker's drive only just clearing the goal.

Mark Carrington headed off target from Jame Jennings' cross with a rare opportunity for Wrexham who had been second best and trailed at the break.

Ben Tollitt replaced Beavon for the start of the second half and Akil Wright blasted over as Wrexham went straight at Salford.

Walker's free-kick was straight at Lainton while Wrexham countered and Brad Walker's shot was unconvincingly turned behind by keeper Chris Neal.

Luke Young replaced Wright on 56 minutes and Wrexham, who had improved since the break, saw Summerfield's drive tipped over the bar by Neal.

But Wrexham's task became much harder as Salford doubled their lead on the hour mark.

Rory Gaffney was allowed to turn after taking Walker's cross and the striker fired past Lainton.

Kevin Roberts replaced Mark Carrington after 67 minutes as Wrexham switched to a back three and Bobby Grant's header from Paul Rutherford's centre was comfortably saved by Neal.

Salford almost made it 3-0 as Walker sent in a dangerous free-kick bur Liam Hogan's header fell narrowly wide.

Time was running out for Wrexham and Jennings' free-kick was tipped behind by Neal.

Despite late pressure, Wrexham failed to pull a goal back and the unbeaten run came to an end.