GRESFORD ATHLETIC made sure Colwyn Bay's return to the Welsh pyramid ended in defeat as Steve Halliwell's men secured a 1-0 win.

The Seagulls were playing their first game back in their home country after a 35-year exile in England, but it was Gresford who came out on top.

With the game pushed back 24 hours due to cricket at Clappers Lane, Gresford made sure it was worth the wait as Jordan MacCarter stepped off the bench to head the decisive goal 12 minutes from time.

MacCarter had only been on the pitch 13 minutes, but he made his mark by heading in Joe Culshaw's corner.

Both teams had chances either side of MacCarter's strike, Bay notably hitting the post inside the final 10 minutes.

But Gresford were able to withstand Bay pressure and book a second round trip to Bala Town on Friday night.

Corwen kicked off their campaign on the right note as they beat Berriew 2-0.

Tom Williams and Sam Henry scored in the second-half to book Corwen a home clash with Caernarfon Town next weekend.

There was no such joy for Buckley Town as they missed out on a Flintshire derby clash with Connah's Quay Nomads after losing 2-0 to Rhyl.

New signing Danny Sullivan handed Rhyl an eighth minute lead, before Tom Creamer wrapped up the success in the second period.

Rhyl boss Eddie Maurice-Jones was delighted with his side's victory against a stubborn Buckley.

"It was really solid in a tough game," Maurice-Jones told Rhyl's official Twitter feed.

"They are full of energy and it was a high energy game, so it was good to see us defend in units and that we were tough to break down."

Airbus and Cefn Druids will have home advantage against Llanfair United and Prestatyn Town, respectively, in round two.

Llanfair booked a trip to the Airfield courtesy of a 3-1 home success over Llangefni Town, who took the lead in the ninth minute through Craig Roberts.

But Karl Seliaerts, Josh Astley and Ashley Davies turned the game in Llanfair’s favour.

Prestatyn were 4-2 home victors over Llanrhaeadr as they set up a visit to The Rock next weekend.

Mattie Jones’ book-ended the scoring for Llanrhaeadr, but in between his 12th and 88th minute strikes, Prestatyn dominated.

Ian Griffiths levelled on the stroke of half-time, before Rob Hughes handed Prestatyn the lead two minutes after the restart.

Mike Parker and a Khyam Wytton own goal increased Prestatyn’s lead and mean Jones’ second effort was nothing more than a consolation.

Guilsfield will entertain Llandudno in round two after beating Ruthin Town 3-0. Jake Cooke, Stuart Rogers and Jack Richards did the damage.