A CONTENTIOUS injury-time equaliser from Penrhyncoch’s Steff Davies dented Holywell Town’s survival chances in a thrilling 3-3 draw at Cae Baker.

Billed as a ‘six-pointer’ by both clubs prior to kick-off, the Wellmen led three times in the contest only to be pegged back each time by the resilient Roosters.

The galling late leveller kept Holywell in the relegation zone but, with two games remaining, the Flintshire side’s fate remains in their own hands.

Reflecting on Davies’ handball in the lead up to his late leveller, Holywell Town boss admitted the result ‘left a sour taste’.

“It’s a tough one to take after scoring three times away from home and playing so well in such a big game”, he said.

“From where I was stood I couldn’t see it, but the reaction of our players when that third goal went in said it all, really.

“The lad’s brought the ball down with his arm and then scored with his second touch, so to drop two massive points as a result leaves a sour taste.

“It’s disappointing to concede so late on but we’ve taken seven points from the last nine, which isn’t a bad return for a team written off a couple of weeks back. It’s still in our hands with two to go now.”

A lively start saw chances for both sides with Wellmen keeper Mike Platt forced into an early save to deny Jonathon Evans, before Sam Jones’ effort was blocked by the feet of Roosters stopper Leigh Jenkins.

After a decent spell of pressure, Holywell went ahead on 25 minutes when Zebb Edwards drove the ball home from Damian Ketley’s measured cross.

The hosts responded well to the setback and were level eight minutes later when Cledan Davies’ delivery into the box was turned home by Jonathon Foligno.

Parity was shortlived, however, as Ketley latched onto a long ball over the home defence and netted with a fine volley to put the visitors 2-1 up at the break

The hosts drew level nine minutes into the second half when a sliding Cledan Davies forced the ball home from Jack Rimmer’s cross.

Holywell were then indebted to Platt, who produced to smart stops in quick succession to thwart the home side.

And the visitors looked to have earned a crucial three points when a mix-up in the home defence saw Matty Hughes collect the loose ball and fire home.

But there was a late sting in the tail as Davies appeared to handle from a 93rd minute corner before firing past Platt.

Flint Town United were beaten 2-1 at Bangor City in their penultimate game of the season.

The third-placed Flint, who are chasing a runners-up spot, have now lost successive games for this first time this season.

Silkmen boss Niall McGuinness was left to reflect on a below-par performance from his side after two goals from City’s in-for Robbie Parry cancelled out Mark Cadwallader’s opener.

“It’s disappointing that we started the game pretty well and got ourselves ahead”, said McGuinness.

“But after that first 10 or 15 minute period we became too relaxed. A lot of people think that Bangor are a young, inexperienced side but their front four have a lot of quality and can hurt teams. Maybe it was a bit of complacency on our part, but we can’t afford to ease off now when we’ve still got the chance of finishing higher in this division than we have in the last eight or nine years. It just wasn’t good enough.”

Craig Papirnyk’s final game in charge of Porthmadog ended in disappointment as first-half goals from Luke Francis and Danny Barton earned Guilsfield a deserved 2-0 victory at Y Traeth.

Port will slip to third place if Flint win their final fixture next weekend, while Guils are now assured of a sixth-place finish.

Denbigh Town boosted their slim survival hopes with a 3-1 victory over Llanrhaeadr at Central Park, courtesy of Mark Roberts’ superb first-half hat-trick.

Town now sit just outside of the relegation zone, but remain dependent on results elsewhere to stay in the division.

Relegated Holyhead Hotspur were unable to sustain their recent upturn in form as they crashed to a 2-1 home reverse to Ruthin Town, with prolific striker Llyr Morris netting twice for Town.

Conwy Borough stormed to a 5-0 drubbing of Rhyl on Friday night, with Cory Williams firing a hat-trick for Borough.