CEFN ALBION kept their Welsh Trophy final dream alive with a stunning 5-3 win at Corwen.

The Welsh National League club took more than 150 fans up the A5 to War Memorial Park where they pulled off one of the cup shocks of the season.

Boss Stephen Davies was running out of superlatives to describe his players and those supporters, who celebrated long into the night and yesterday afternoon back in the Cefn.

“It was a brilliant day,” said Davies. “I said we wouldn’t be frightened going there and that showed in the players’ attitudes. They were top class and our supporters were fantastic.

“I won the Welsh Trophy as a player with Cefn United and scored in the final and we’re only one game away from reaching the final now.”

Albion were helped by an early red card for Corwen’s Ryan Billington in a tie that also saw them awarded three penalties.

“They were all blatant penalties,” added Davies. “We thoroughly deserved to win. All the lads played well but I’ve got to say that winger Jimmy Jones was our man of the match.”

Dale Davies gave the hosts an early lead but Connor Kendrick replied from the penalty spot and again after his second penalty was saved by Dylan Jones he tucked away the rebound.

Kendrick also saw his third spot kick saved but got that miss out of his system by completing his hat-trick.

Scott Evans and Sam Henry gave Corwen a glimmer of hope but goals from Jordan Jones and Zac Davies secured Albion’s place in today’s last-four draw.

A large crowd at The Rock cheered on Plas Madoc, but sadly to no avail, as they went down fighting 4-2 to Pontardawe Town.

The visitors went 2-0 up through Josh Dorward and Kurtis Rees before Plas Madoc skipper Nicky Williams earned and scored a second half penalty.

Chasing the game, they left gaps at the back and Liam Griffiths added two for Town after Jamie Williams had given Ryan Roberts’ side a fighting chance.

Madoc, who had to switch their game to Druids’ ground because their Muga pitch was waterlogged, can claim themselves a place in the Welsh National League Division One Cup final next week when they host Mynydd Isa Spartans.

Already through to the final are Rhydymwyn who beat Coedpoeth United 2-1 thanks to goals from Kyle Amoss and Mitchell Williams. Oliver Lewis hit back for Coedpoeth.

The other two teams through to the Welsh Trophy semi-finals are Bodedern and STM Sports.

Ryan Taylor volleyed in the winner for Bodedern as they beat Welsh Alliance title rivals Llangefni Town 1-0. Two goals from Lamin Conteh sealed a 2-1 win for STM Sports over Penydarren.

Meanwhile, Flint Mountain had an easy passage through to the Premier Cup final as Caerwys failed to raise a team for their semi-final tie.