AIRBUS took another step towards a league and cup double with a 1-0 victory over Porthmadog in their League Cup semi-final at Y Traeth.

Oli Lanceley’s sixth minute strike proved decisive as a resolute defensive display from the Wingmakers frustrated the hosts’ pursuit of a leveller.

Assistant manager Andy Thomas hailed a ‘magnificent’ showing from an Airbus squad that had 10 players missing for the clash through ineligibility or unavailability.

He said: “It was a magnificent defensive performance against one of the division’s best sides.

“The fact that we’ve gone there with so many players out and still limited them to just half-chances was really pleasing.

“Our shape throughout was solid and I felt we always looked comfortable, even when we had young lads like Toby Vickery and George Peers come on off the bench.

“It was great first team experience for them and great for the club as a whole to get ourselves into a cup final.”

Ifan Emlyn sent an early sighter over the Airbus bar after two minutes but it was visitors who went ahead via their first attack of the game.

Midfielder Brady McGilloway broke down the right and his deep cross to the back post was turned home by academy prospect Lanceley who got the final touch in a goalmouth scramble.

Port responded well to the setback and came close to getting back on terms when Julian Williams crossed for Tomos Emlyn, whose effort from 12 yards was saved smartly by Dave Roberts.

Port keeper Paul Pritchard then had to touch Matty McGinn’s 20-yard free-kick over the bar, before Mike Sharples had a header cleared off the line for the home side.

At the other end, Asa Hamilton forced Pritchard into a good save at his near post and with half-time approaching Hamilton found space in the box but lifted his shot narrowly over the bar.

The second half saw Airbus close ranks and sit deep as Port laboured to break down a solid and well-organised defence.

The closest Port came to levelling came when Sion Edwards tried his luck from 30 yards with an effort that sailed narrowly wide of Roberts’ right hand post.

As Port pushed forward in search of an equaliser the chances came for a second Airbus goal, as Hamilton fired narrowly over the bar and had a shot well saved by Pritchard, before Lanceley’s run on goal was snuffed out by Emlyn’s clearance tackle.

Airbus will now face Holyhead Hotspur in the final after the Anglesey side ran out 7-5 winners in a breathless affair at Nantporth.

Goals from Robbie Parry and Jacob Farleigh put the Citizens 2-0 up inside 30 minutes, only for Hotspur to bounce back to lead 3-2 at the interval with a brace from John Littlemore and a Chris Jones strike turning the tables.

Littlemore completed his hat-trick soon after the restart, before two goals from Bangor’s player manager Gary Taylor-Fletcher forced extra-time.

But Hotspur advanced as goals from Dan McGuinness, Tomos Clarke and Mel McGuiness put them 7-4 up, before Dylan Summers added Bangor’s fifth late on.