WREXHAM will have far tougher tests when the National League campaign kicks off but Phil Parkinson's men did everything asked of them in their friendly clash against Macclesfield.

The Reds dominated throughout against the Northern Premier League Division One West outfit and picked up a comfortable 4-0 victory at The Racecourse.

Having played some good football and created lots of chances, two goals in each half secured a thoroughly deserved win and Parkinson was delighted with the display.

"I was pleased with the performance," said Parkinson.

"A couple of games in pre-season we have played teams where we haven't seen a lot of the ball, particularly the Manchester United game, but that has been a good exercise for us in terms of working on our discipline out of possession because it is very important.

"Today was important because we knew we would have a lot more possession ourselves and it enabled us to work on our passing movements, our patience and that side of the game.

"Some of the football was good, we got in some really good areas, the front two linked the play well and the ball retention was good.

"I feel it was a decent work-out."

The clash with Macclesfield was Wrexham's only friendly at The Racecourse and Parkinson, who only made three substitutions as eight players were given a 90 minute run-out, stressed the importance of having at least one warm-up match at home before the National League campaign kicks-off against Eastleigh in north Wales next Saturday.

"Any season, you have got to get at least one game on your home pitch and let the lads get a feel for it again," said Parkinson.

"We have changed the configuration of the changing rooms around, we have gone into the other dressing room and all the physio department has been redeveloped.

"It was just nice to get everything in working order again and generally, it was a good exercise for us.

"We got 90 minutes into a lot of the players; I know we brought Aaron Hayden off on 82 minutes but he hasn't gone that far in a game for a long while so that was pleasing."

Wrexham made a lively start and almost took an early lead when Ollie Palmer latched onto Luke Young's superb through-ball but the striker's powerful shot struck the post.

Another chance went begging as Ben Tozer's long throw-in fell to Max Cleworth whose close range effort was turned over the bar by goalkeeper Marcelo Pitaluga.

However, the Reds took the lead from the resulting corner on 12 minutes.

Young delivered the flag-kick into the danger-zone and Palmer headed home.

Wrexham continued to dominate and Aaron Hayden couldn't keep his header down from Young's corner.

The chances kept coming as Anthony Forde made a good run to the by-line before crossing to the back post where Callum McFadzean headed wide.

However, the second goal Wrexham had been threatening arrived in the 33rd minute.

Paul Mullin's low drive was parried by Pitaluga and James Jones was on hand to convert the loose ball.

There was no let-up from Wrexham as Palmer fired into the side-netting and Forde cut inside from the right but cleared the bar with the final opportunity of the first half.

Cleworth's shot from outside the area was comfortably saved by Pitaluga when the action resumed and the Reds went 3-0 up after 50 minutes.

Young sent in a corner and Hayden found the net with a header.

Tom Clare cleared the bar with a rare Macclesfield chance following a defensive lapse but Wrexham were soon back on the attack and Tom O'Connor only just cleared the bar with a free-kick.

But the midfielder made it 4-0 in the 63rd minute, beating Pitaluga with a header from Mullin's cross.

Wrexham goalkeeper Mark Howard pulled off his first save of the contest from James Berry while Mullin saw a curling effort fall narrowly wide at the other end as the Reds ran out convincing winners.

Wrexham (5-3-2): Howard; Forde (McAlinden 70), Hayden (Tunnicliffe 82), Tozer, Cleworth, McFadzean; Jones, Young, O'Connor; Mullin, Palmer (Bickerstaff 85). Subs not used: Dibble, Lennon, Hosannah, Davies, Angus.

Macclesfield (4-2-3-1): Pitaluga; Manson, Trialist, Fensome, Lee; Danns, Mendy; Kengni, Curran, Berry; Clare. Subs: Byrne, Kiwomya, Grimshaw, Pemberton, Cowan, Owens, Bower.

Referee: Lee Evans.

Attendance: 4,076 (152 from Macclesfield).