JOHNNY HUNT could be forgiven for feeling nervous when he stepped up to make history but missing his penalty was never an option.

The 2013 FA Trophy final against Grimsby Town - Wrexham’s first appearance at Wembley Stadium - had to be decided in a shoot-out after the Conference rivals drew 1-1.

Andy Morrell’s side were flawless from the spot with Adrian Cieslewicz, Danny Wright and Chris Westwood all scoring, while the Mariners only converted one of their opening three penalties.

Hunt was entrusted with Wrexham’s fourth attempt from 12 yards and the utility player calmly slotted past Grimsby keeper James McKeown to secure victory before celebrating with team-mates and members of staff in front of 20,000 jubilant Reds’ supporters.

Hunt, now 31, jumped at the chance to be involved in the shoot-out and he wasn’t going to spurn the chance to convert the winning penalty on a never-to-be-forgotten day.

“Leading up to the final we practised penalties,” said Hunt, who came through the youth ranks at The Racecourse.

“I was always confident taking them and if it went to a shoot-out, I just needed to put my name forward.

“The gaffer asked who fancied one at the end and I said yes.

“I was on fourth, they missed a couple of theirs and there was not really any pressure on me in the end.

“I was thinking more that if I score this, I have scored the winning penalty; that was more of the feeling of it rather than I had to score.

“We were ahead, they still had one and we had another penalty.

“But I had the chance to score the winning penalty at Wembley and I knew when I was walking up, I wasn’t missing! Emotion takes over and you just enjoy the moment.”

When asked if it was the highlight of his career, Hunt, who played for Cambridge United, Mansfield Town and Stevenage in the Football League, said: “For an actual moment - 100 per cent on a personal note. That will never be beaten.

“Going off a 90 minute game of football, with friends and family there, playing for a club where I came through the youth team to go and to play for the first team, having the chance to play at Wembley and obviously score the winning penalty, that is a day I will never forget.

“It was a big crowd and at our end as well, everything about it was perfect. I wouldn’t even have dreamt that the night before. But I have always said that I would have swapped it to get promoted.”

Wrexham’s run to the final proved to be a welcome distraction from the promotion challenge.

The Reds overcame Rushall Olympic, Solihull Moors, Sutton United, Southport and Gainsborough Trinity en route to the showpiece where Hunt finished the job off.

“The Trophy run was good for us,” said Hunt. “Getting to Wembley never really crosses your mind but then low and behold, I ended up scoring the winner there.”

Hunt hopes Wrexham can finally realise their promotion dream under Phil Parkinson and win the Trophy for a second time when they face Bromley on Sunday.

“Wrexham will always be a club close to my heart because they gave me my big chance,” added Hunt. “It is a club that I just wish the best for.

“Promotion is the main aim but the Trophy final is a bonus. Hopefully it turns out to be an absolutely unbelievable season with a promotion and a Trophy win.”