THE road to Wembley began with a convincing 5-0 third round victory against National League North side Gloucester City at The Racecourse.

Midfielder Jordan Davies struck twice in the first-half to put the Reds well in control.

Max Cleworth bagged his first Wrexham goal after the break, before fit-again frontman Kwame Thomas and substitute James Jones got on the scoresheet.

It was same again from Phil Parkinson’s side in the fourth round as Folkestone Invicta were swept aside.

Covid restrictions meant supporters weren’t present at The Racecourse but Wrexham secured a comfortable 5-1 win against the Isthmian League Premier Division high-flyers.

Jordan Ponticelli put the Reds ahead at the break and the striker made it 2-0 early in the second half before Jordan Davies, Bryce Hosannah and Thomas got in on the act as the Reds reached the last 16.

Wrexham were handed a tougher test in the fifth round but the Reds clinched a 3-0 home win over Boreham Wood.

The Wood arrived at The Racecourse flying high in the National League but Phil Parkinson’s men came through with flying colours.

January transfer window signing Ollie Palmer and midfielder Jordan Davies put Wrexham 2-0 up at half-time and Aaron Hayden’s late strike sealed success which put the Reds in the quarter-final.

A first and only away tie on route to the showpiece came in the last-eight and Wrexham passed the test.

The Reds made the trip to National League promotion contenders Notts County and came from behind to triumph 2-1 and secure a place in the last-four.

Wrexham got back on level terms late in the first half through Dan Jarvis and James Jones’ late goal completed the comeback.

After that last-gasp win Jones admitted he was pleased that penalties weren’t needed to settle the outcome at Meadow Lane.

“I would rather do it the way that we did it,” said Jones, who will be hoping Sunday’s final at Wembley doesn’t go the full shoot-out distance.

“We did a bit of practice in the week so hopefully we would have been okay but you never know with penalties.”

Wrexham booked their place at Wembley with a 2-0 victory over National League title rivals Stockport County at The Racecourse.

Co-chairman Ryan Reynolds made a surprise appearance and more than 8,700 fans - the Reds’ highest ever home crowd for an FA Trophy fixture - saw Stockport’s long unbeaten run come to an end.

Leading scorer Paul Mullin was the hero, scoring two brilliant goals in stoppage time as Wrexham reached the FA Trophy final for a third time where Bromley await.

Ollie Palmer was named man of the match in the superb semi-final win but the frontman believes Christian Dibble should have picked up the man of the match award.

Having seen Dibble pull off some vital saves to keep Phil Parkinson’s side in the game, Palmer admitted the Reds’ goalkeeper deserved as much praise and was a real contender for the best player accolade.

“Dibs was amazing,” said Palmer, who joined Wrexham for a club record fee from AFC Wimbledon during the January transfer window.

“He probably deserved man of the match but sometimes you get it when you work hard up top.”

REDS FA TROPHY SCORERS: Jordan Davies 4; Kwame Thomas 2, James Jones 2, Jordan Ponticelli 2, Paul Mullin 2; Max Cleworth, Bryce Hosannah, Ollie Palmer, Aaron Hayden, Dan Jarvis.