THERE was no promotion party at Victoria Road as Wrexham were unable to wrestle the National League title from Stockport County's grasp.

Phil Parkinson's side went into the game against Dagenham and Redbridge sitting three points behind the Hatters but with a superior goal difference.

Wrexham needed to win in east London and hope that Stockport lost their last day showdown against high-flying Halifax Town, but things didn't go to plan.

The Reds lost 3-0 and it didn't matter how Stockport got on in their game, although a 2-0 win meant the Hatters celebrated being crowned champions in style.

Despite making a good start, Wrexham were under the cosh for large parts on the first half but managed to get to the break on level terms.

However, Dagenham took their chances in the second half and the Reds', who were far from their best in such a massive game, were well beaten in the end.

It has still been a brilliant season despite missing out on title and Wrexham have a home play-off semi-final to look forward to against either Notts County or Grimsby Town - after a Wembley final when they face Bromley on Sunday in the FA Trophy showpiece.

The starting line-up showed one change that started the brilliant 3-0 win against Stockport the previous weekend which kept the Reds' title hopes alive.

Reece Hall-Johnson was preferred in the right wing-back role to Bryce Hosannah.

Wrexham created the first chance in the fifth minute.

Ben Tozer sent in a cross which was taken down by Paul Mullin and the striker's shot was saved by goalkeeper Elliot Justham.

The Reds continued their good start and James Jones' cross fell to Jordan Davies whose effort was blocked by a defender.

But the Daggers were afforded too much time and space on the counter attack and Brandon Comley's low drive was brilliantly turned behind by Reds' keeper Christian Dibble.

Junior Morias brought a more comfortable save out of Dibble but Wrexham went close when Mullin ran at goal after intercepting a loose pass but his low shot fell just wide.

Myles Weston was allowed to run unchallenged but his effort from the edge of the area was off target at the other end as Dagenham came more into the game.

The Daggers were on and creating more opportunities as Dean Rance fired wide and Matt Robinson's drive was well held by Dibble.

Paul McCallum's header at the back post went wide following a corner but Wrexham weathered the storm and Callum McFadzean wasn't far away with a long range effort after Luke Young's corner was cleared to the wing-back.

But back came Dagenham and McCallum had a goal disallowed following a push on Dibble.

That was a huge let-off for Wrexham who were then indebted to Dibble for keeping them in the game, with the Reds' goalkeeper making a smart block to deny McCallum before he made a fantastic save to thwart Robinson just before the interval.

But Wrexham thought they'd gone ahead at the start of the season half when Mullin played the ball into Ollie Palmer's path but the frontman's shot was somehow tipped over the bar by Justham.

However, Dagenham went 1-0 up in the 55th minute.

Morias latched onto Robinson's throughball and slotted past Dibble from inside the area.

Weston went close to doubling the Daggers' advantage with a curling shot that drifted wide while Parkinson made his first change on 63 minutes as Dan Jarvis replaced Tyler French and the Reds switched to a back-four.

Wrexham regrouped and Palmer was put through on goal but the striker took a heavy touch and the chance went begging as Justham gathered.

But the Daggers went close as Will Wright's free-kick was tipped behind by Dibble before Liam McAlinden took over from James Jones.

McCallum found the side-netting but the striker made it 2-0 when he met Weston's ball into the danger zone.

That left Wrexham with a mountain to climb and substitute Jordan Ponticelli - on for McFadzean - headed wide while McCallum fired over at the other end.

But Dagenham scored a third goal in the 90th minute when Robinson fired home and Wrexham will now prepare for the play-offs after their Wembley appearance.

Dagenham (5-3-2): Justham; Weston, Wright, Onariase, Johnson, Vilhete; Comley, Rance, Robinson; McCallum (Balanta 90), Morias (Walker 87). Subs not used: Sagaf, Ling, Hare.

Wrexham (5-3-2): Dibble; Hall-Johnson, French (Jarvis 63), Tozer, Cleworth, McFadzean (Ponticelli 81) James Jones (McAlinden 74), Young, Davies; Mullin, Palmer. Subs not used: Camp, O'Connor.

Attendance: 3,470 (1,464 from Wrexham).