WREXHAM came from behind to beat Halifax Town 2-1 following a fantastic late show at The Shay.

Phil Parkinson's side made a bright start to the second half following an even opening period but went behind after the home side scored after 67 minutes.

But James Jones levelled with eight minutes and top scorer Paul Mullin struck in added time as Wrexham secured victory which takes the Reds up to eighth in the National League.

There was a lack of scoring chances by Wrexham but they took their opportunities to snatch another away victory.

Parkinson made two changes from the side that started the goalless draw with Wealdstone three days earlier.

Shaun Brisley replaced Harry Lennon in the five-man defence and Dan Jarvis came in for Jordan Ponticelli.

That change meant Paul Mullin took over from Ponticelli as the lone striker with Jarvis lining up at the tip of the diamond shaped midfield.

Both sides cancelled each other out in the early exchanges with Wrexham having a couple of corners and long throw-ins by Ben Tozer to show for their efforts.

There was a decent move in the 20th minute after the Reds cleared a corner with Mullin leading the charge but Reece Hall-Johnson's teasing cross was cut out by a defender and gathered by goalkeeper Sam Johnson.

Halifax responded with a shot by striker Jack Vale, who comes from Wrexham and is on loan at The Shay from Blackburn Rovers, deflected off Tozer into Rob Lainton's hands while opposite number Johnson made a comfortable save from Luke Young's low drive.

Lainton made an even better stop as he tipped away Kian Spence's shot after the midfielder was set-up by Matty Warburton, and the latter saw a 20-yard drive go straight at the Reds keeper.

Jordan Davies, who scored a first half hat-trick in the corresponding fixture last season when Wrexham won 4-0, made room for a shot which wasn't far away from finding the bottom corner just before the interval.

Billy Waters bought a comfortable save out of Lainton immediately after the restart and the Reds stopper also denied Kieran Green.

Wrexham created their chance in the 58th minute as Hall-Johnson played in Mullin whose shot was well saved by Johnson.

Aiming to build some pressure, another Wrexham move ended with Mullin firing a ball across the face of goal that was just beyond Jarvis.

It was Jarvis' last action of the game as he was replaced by Jake Hyde, who joined Wrexham from Halifax in the summer and was booed by Shaymen fans following his introduction.

But Halifax supporters were cheering in the 67th minute after taking the lead.

Halifax won the ball back and Warburton fed Jordan Slew who fired past Lainton.

Substitute Elliot Newby wasn't far away from making it 2-0 as his curling effort flew inches wide while Parkinson made a double substitution with Cameron Green and Ponticelli replacing Bryce Hosannah and Brisley.

And Wrexham equalised eight minutes from time.

James Jones fired in a low shot that appeared to go in off a Halifax defender.

Both teams pressed for a winner and Newby hit the post for Halifax, but Wrexham went 2-1 up in the first minute of injury time.

The ball was played up to Mullin who slotted past Johnson from inside the area.

Halifax Town (4-2-3-1): Johnson; Warren, Maher, Debrah, Senior; Spence, Green; Vale (Newby 68), Warburton, Slew (Gilmour 76); Waters. Subs not used: Summerfield, Swaby-Neavin, Woods.

Wrexham (5-4-1): Lainton; Hall-Johnson, Hayden, Tozer, Brisley (Ponticelli 74), Hosannah (Green 74); James Jones, Young, Davies, Jarvis (Hyde 62); Mullin. Subs not used: Dibble, Cleworth.

Attendance: 3,334 (1,212 from Wrexham).