THERE was no messing second time around as Wrexham produced a much improved performance to beat Marine 2-0 and set up a trip to Harrogate Town in the first round of the FA Cup.

Phil Parkinson's side were second best throughout Saturday's fourth qualifying round tie at Rossett Park as the Mariners, plying their trade three divisions below the Reds in the Northern Premier League Division One West, gave a brilliant account of themselves.

A last gasp equaliser meant Wrexham snatched a draw but they made no mistake in the 'home' replay at Nantwich Town's Optimum Pay Stadium, with The Racecourse out of use because the pitch has been relaid.

Wrexham signalled their intentions from the first whistle and were much more of an attacking threat.

Leading scorer Paul Mullin scored in each half and Wrexham could have scored more goals, but Parkinson will be pleased with performance and result going into Saturday's clash at Barnet as his side resume their league campaign.

Parkinson made five changes for the side that started the first meeting between the teams three days earlier, and he also switched to a 4-2-3-1 system for the first time this season.

Goalkeeper Christian Dibble replaced Rob Lainton, who was knocked unconscious and also broke a nose at Rossett Park, while summer signing Shaun Brisley came into the back four for his first Reds' appearance after recovering from a knee injury sustained in pre-season, taking over from Harry Lennon.

Tyler French was preferred to Bryce Hosannah in the right-back role and midfielder Dan Jarvis, making his first appearance of the campaign, replaced James Jones.

The final change was in attack where Dior Angus came in for Jake Hyde, another player who sustained an injury at Marine.

It meant Ben Tozer switched from centre-back to a holding midfield position alongside Jordan Davies with Liam McAlinden, Paul Mullin and Jarvis playing behind Angus.

Dibble, man of the match on Saturday after replacing Lainton, pulled off a superb fourth minute save to deny Neil Kengni who got into a great position in the area.

But Wrexham had a lot more purpose about them when they attacked in the early stages and Angus' low drive from the edge of the box fell narrowly wide.

The Reds were enjoying a good spell and went ahead in the 21st minute.

Mullin played a one-two with Angus and bent the ball beyond goalkeeper Bayleigh Passant.

Striker Kengni, again looking lively, couldn't keep his effort down as Marine responded to going behind and Owen Watkinson was denied by Dibble.

Wrexham came close to doubling their advantage when McAlinden picked out Jarvis with a brilliant ball but although the midfielder beat Passant, the ball drifted agonisingly wide.

It was a deserved lead at the break and Wrexham made it 2-0 just two minutes into the second half.

Mullin raced clear after a defender dithered on the ball, rounded Passant and slotted into an empty net.

Brisley wasn't far away with a header as Wrexham continued to press and Hayden just cleared the bar with a header.

Hosannah, on for Jarvis, saw his effort hit Brisley with Passant gathering the ball and Mullin, looking for his hat-trick, tried an audacious long range chip that was too high.

An innocuous looking cross by Marine substitute James Devine struck the top of the Wrexham crossbar but there was no change in the scoreline and Wrexham progressed to a date with Harrogate.

Wrexham (4-2-3-1): Dibble; French, Hayden, Brisley, Reckord; Tozer, Davies (Cleworth 88); Jarvis (Hosannah 64), Mullin, McAlinden; Angus (Ponticelli 77). Subs not used: Szcezpaniak, Lennon, J Jones, Bickerstaff.

Marine (4-3-3): Bayleigh Passant; Solomon-Davies, Shaw (Devine 57), Raven, Hayde; Doyle, Howarth, Barrigan (Lynch 76); Kengni, Wignall (Cummins 57), Watkinson. Subs not used: Harvey Passant, Roberts, McNally, Reilly.

Attendance: 1,192.