JORDAN DAVIES admits avoiding defeat following a below par performance was a positive ahead of Wrexham starting their FA Cup campaign.

Phil Parkinson’s side made a bright start against Chesterfield last Tuesday but lost their way after the Spireites took a sixth minute lead.

Rob Lainton pulled off a penalty save to keep Wrexham in the game and despite the poor display, the Reds rescued a point through leading scorer Paul Mullin’s late equaliser.

Davies admits Wrexham need to produce better performances in the quest for promotion.

“We started on the front foot and got the fans on our side but we slowly drifted out of the game,” said Davies.

“Chesterfield started to come to the forefront and they scored a simple goal from a set-piece that we have got to look at.

“The penalty save from Rob should have given us more of a lift than what it did.

“We just had to get in at half-time, recuperate and come out in the second half and show the fans some passion and desire because that was what we lacked.

“It was good not to lose and stay unbeaten at The Racecourse but we have to be better than that.”

Davies, who won the Young Player of the Season award in 2020-21, was pleased to salvage a 1-1 draw.

“Everyone is going to have off-days,” said Davies.

“Chesterfield implemented their game very well to make it a bit rough and tumble, and we got a bit bullied but we will bounce back as a squad.

“We didn’t lose which is a positive, we showed good heart and desire right to the very end and we were unlucky not to win it come the final whistle.

“It is a long season. There are going to be games where things don’t fall right as a team and that was one of those but we didn’t lose.

“We stuck together and we got a point.

“It wasn’t the performance that we would have liked going into a three-week break in the league but it gives us a chance to work on a few things."

Davies struck the crossbar direct from a corner before the early setback.

“I saw the goalkeeper off his line and with a bit of wind, I just whipped it in and it hit the crossbar,” said Davies.

“It was a good effort.”

Davies made his comeback from a calf injury in the clash against Aldershot Town 10 days ago but the game was abandoned after 50 minutes because of a waterlogged pitch at The Recreation Ground.

Having missed three matches since he scored the only goal in the win against Woking before he limped off, Davies is delighted to be back in the side after a short lay-off. “I had a Grade Two six centimetre tear in my calf,” said Davies.

“It was a bit of a surprise when I had the scan results back. It was worse than what we originally thought but we treated the injury and I came back a bit quicker than I expected.

“My calf feels good and it is good to be back out there.”

Wrexham didn’t have a game at the weekend and Davies is looking forward to being back in action against Marine in Saturday’s FA Cup fourth qualifying round tie at Rossett Park.

“Hopefully we can a little run going in the FA Cup,” added Davies. “I have not had a cup run myself so it would be something I would look forward to.