WREXHAM'S highest ever National League attendance and biggest league midweek crowd since 1979 saw the Reds fail to rise to the occasion.

A bumper crowd of 9,147 attended the fixture against Chesterfield at The Racecourse and Phil Parkinson's side rescued a 1-1 draw thanks to Paul Mullin's late equaliser.

But Wrexham got away with it after producing an awful performance despite making a quickfire start and almost going ahead, but they were second best after Chesterfield took a sixth minute lead.

The Spireites controlled the midfield and Kabongo Tshimanga, the National League leading scorer, was a big danger in attack but the striker saw a penalty saved by Rob Lainton four minutes before the break as the visitors missed an excellent chance to double their advantage.

You'd have hoped that gave Wrexham, who spent much of the opening period kept in their own half as they struggled to string passes together, a much needed lift going into the second half.

Chesterfield lost momentum after the interval but Wrexham were unable to take advantage and lacked creativity.

Thankfully, Mullin got an equaliser and Chesterfield will feel it was two points dropped but there are more questions than answers for Wrexham following this dire display.

Parkinson was expecting to be without skipper Luke Young and club captain Ben Tozer who both picked up injuries against Aldershot.

But Tozer, stretchered off at The Recreation Ground and taken to hospital for an x-ray on his shin, was surprisingly passed fit and he took his place in the Reds' defence.

Young was missing with an ankle problem so Devonte Redmond, who impressed after replacing his team-mate at The Recreation Ground, came into midfield for the only change to the starting line-up.

Wrexham were quick out of the blocks and Paul Mullin fed Bryce Hosannah - making his Reds defence with Saturday's game outing not counting - who brought a good save out of Scott Loach.

Jordan Davies hit the underside of the bar with his inswinging corner but after making an excellent start, Wrexham fell behind in the sixth minute.

Jeff King's free-kick was nodded back across goal by Gavin Gunning and Fraser Kerr turned the ball home as the Reds paid the price after switching off from for the set-piece.

The game begun to slow down following a frantic opening while Lainton saved a low drive by Tshimanga with Tozer putting the loose ball out for a corner before a Chesterfield player could capitalise.

Lainton was called upon again to deny Tshimanga who ran at goal after a Wrexham clearance ricocheted kindly for the dangerous striker.

The duo continued their battle as Lainton was adjudged to have brought down Tshimanga in the area with referee Martin Woods pointing to the spot in the 40th minute.

However, Lainton went the right way and saved the forward's penalty.

Wrexham needed to be much better after the restart and it started well for the Reds with Jake Hyde getting on the end of a Davies corner but the ball deflected out of play.

Chesterfield were less of a threat but they did have an attempt at goal as Danny Rowe cleared the bar before Tshimanga shot straight at Lainton.

However, despite not creating any openings Wrexham were back on level terms in the 84th minute.

Tozer launched a long throw-in and Mullin headed past Loach.

Boosted by the equaliser, Wrexham pushed for a winner and Aaron Hayden struck the crossbar but it finished all-square.

Wrexham (3-5-2): Lainton; Hayden, Tozer, Lennon (Angus 79); Hosannah, James Jones, Redmond (McAlinden 69), Davies, Reckord (French 46); Mullin, Hyde. Subs not used: Dibble, David Jones.

Chesterfield: (5-3-2): Loach; Carline, Gunning, Maguire, Kerr, King; Killerman, Weston, Khan (Manderville 60); Tshimanga, Rowe (Payne 80). Subs not used: Miller, Grimes, Whittle.

Attendance: 9,147 (549 from Chesterfield).