PHIL PARKINSON felt Aldershot Town could have done more to ensure Saturday's clash against Wrexham had a chance of continuing before the game was abandoned.

The National League fixture against Aldershot Town was halted six minutes into the second half because of a waterlogged pitch at The Recreation Ground with Wrexham leading 2-0.

Heavy rain before and during the match meant the playing surface became difficult to play on and referee Sukhvir Gill blew his whistle to signal the end of the contest before evaluating whether the game could recommence.

Wrexham players and staff did their best to improve the sodden areas, using squeegees to push water off the pitch, but it was to no avail as there was no let-up with the rain and the match was officially abandoned.

Parkinson admitted the conditions were far from ideal but believes the Shots' groundstaff should have been attending to the playing surface during the half-time interval.

"You can't do anything about the conditions," said Parkinson.

"I would like to have seen more effort at half-time by the groundstaff at Aldershot to clear the pitch.

"It is one of those pitches that is firm underneath, you get that top bit of water off and it would have given it a chance.

"But I think everybody has seen that they are 2-0 down and there is not going to be a great deal of effort to get it off.

"Even when the referee gave it another 10 minutes, they were searching for the groundstaff but they were nowhere to be seen.

"That is fine, we will keep or council. It was a magnificent first half performance from us - we had a tough one with two serious injuries - and give our lads great credit because I thought we were excellent for 45 minutes.

"We have just got to take it on the chin and look forward to Tuesday night (at home to Chesterfield)."

Wrexham, looking to bounce back from the 2-1 defeat at Stockport County the previous weekend, produced arguably their best performances of the season despite losing Luke Young and Ben Tozer to injury.

Jake Hyde, back in the side following a hamstring injury, gave his side a 22nd minute lead and more chances went begging before the striker won his side a first half-time stoppage time penalty which was converted by Paul Mullin.

With Wrexham in the ascendency, Parkinson felt Aldershot had no interest in treating the pitch at half-time to give the game a chance of continuing because they were losing.

"I have been in games which have got called off but I just think it is not the groundstaff's decision not to go on the pitch," said Parkinson.

"That is the frustrating thing from our point of view.

"Steve Parkin was out with the lads at half-time and flagged up to the ref as they were walking off that they need to get the groundstaff on the pitch and they just didn't do it enough.

"Two-nil down, obviously someone somewhere has told them not to go on the pitch.

"Whether it made a difference, I don't know, but I would like to have seen more of an effort made."