PHIL PARKINSON bemoaned his side's lack of quality in both penalty areas after seeing Wrexham suffer a first defeat of the National League season.

The Reds lost 3-1 against high-flying Grimsby Town who maintained their unbeaten start to the campaign in the process.

Wrexham took a 22nd minute lead through Jake Hyde but the Mariners turned things around to lead 2-1 at the break and then completed the scoring late on as the Reds' pressed for an equaliser.

But Parkinson felt the Reds did not have that cutting edge in the final third and he was disappointed with the defending for the first two goals as Grimsby took advantage of poor marking in the box.

"We got off to a great start," said Parkinson. "We spoke about the start at Southend and how we needed to be better; I thought we took that on board and we scored a terrific goal.

"The two goals we conceded, the first one we got done by a give and go, and the second one was a free header in the middle of our box which is disappointing to say the least.

"Games are won and lost in both boxes; the ball went in their box and it came out, they had two free headers from a wide free-kick and a free header which ultimately decided the game.

"The third goal, obviously we are chasing the game and that happens, you get done on the break sometimes when you throw caution to the wind.

"But the second goal in particular was disappointing for us because we were right in the game. It was nip and tuck, there wasn't a lot in it and two decent teams on show but you have got to head the ball out of the box when it comes in at any level of football and that is what cost us.

"Goals from set-plays are crucial at both ends of the pitch."

A crowd of nearly 6,700, with more than 500 travelling supporters in attendance at Blundell Park, saw Wrexham take the lead when Aaron Hayden won the ball before Luke Young delivered a pass that was converted by Hyde.

Grimsby fans felt Hayden had committed a foul but although Parkinson felt it was a perfectly good goal, he was disappointed with the way his side allowed the home side to come back into the game before the break.

"The crowd were going mad with the decision leading to their goal but I thought it was the correct decision," said Parkinson.

"It wasn't a free-kick, it was a terrific pass and a really cool finish from Hyde.

"We knew it was going to be a vibrant atmosphere and the way you can quieten the crowd is by scoring a goal like we did but then we gave the whole place a huge lift with the two goals we conceded.

"Second half, you can't fault the effort and the way we kept trying to play but we couldn't find that decisive moment to get us back in the game, and in the closing minutes they got a goal on the break."