SOMETHING had to give and it was Wrexham who lost their unbeaten record.

Both the Reds and Grimsby Town went into the clash at a packed Blundell Park yet to suffer defeat in the National League this season.

But it was the Mariners who still have that record in tact after winning 3-1, and Paul Hurst's side had to come from behind too.

Striker Jake Hyde put Wrexham ahead but Grimsby turned things around to lead 2-1 at the break and a late third goal wrapped up a fourth victory in five outings for the home side.

Wrexham will aim to bounce back against highflying Dagenham at The Racecourse on Saturday.

Parkinson made two changes from the side that started Saturday's 1-0 home win over Woking.

Max Cleworth came back into the defence in place of Harry Lennon who continues to be managed by the Reds boss while midfielder Devonte Redmond replaced the injured Jordan Davies for his first appearance of the season.

Midfielder David Jones was absent through suspension following his sending off as a substitute against the Cards but there was a place on the substitutes bench for centre-back Shaun Brisley who sustained a knee injury in pre-season.

Former Wrexham captain Shaun Pearson was named among the Grimsby replacements after missing the weekend win at Torquay as his wife gave birth, while another ex-Reds defender Luke Waterfall started for the Mariners.

The home side had the first sight of goal in the ninth minute as Waterfall headed wide from Alex Hunt's free-kick and Wrexham responded with Paul Mullin's volley from outside the area which cleared the bar.

Reds' goalkeeper Rob Lainton was able to continue after receiving treatment having landed awkwardly when he came out to punch a cross and he saw his side take a 1-0 lead in the 22nd minute.

Grimsby felt Aaron Hayden had fouled Ryan Taylor but the centre-back fed Luke Young who picked out Hyde with a brilliant pass and the striker slotted past keeper James McKeown.

Mullin immediately brought a save out of McKeown following a quick break but Grimsby equalised on 27 minutes.

Erico Sousa crossed from the right and Taylor found the back of the net.

And Grimsby went 2-1 up in the 34th minute as they took advantage of poor marking.

Hunt sent in a corner and Waterfall rose highest to head home.

Young was not far away from levelling with a dipping volley from outside the area which fell inches wide and Hyde thought he'd made it 2-2 when he converted James Jones' cross but the goal was goal disallowed for offside.

Jones' low drive was saved by McKeown with the final opportunity of the first half but Grimsby went close to another goal immediately after the restart with captain Giles Coke's effort just off target.

Parkinson made his first change in the 57th minute with Liam McAlinden taking over from Redmond who struggled to get into the game.

Wrexham enjoyed a good spell of pressure and a defender produced a brave block to deny Hyde after McKeown failed to punch the ball clear while Mullin was just unable to get on the end of McAlinden's cross to the far post.

Dior Angus replaced Hyde for the final quarter of an hour while Lainton had to get down low to keep out Max Wright's shot.

Cameron Green came on for Cleworth but Wrexham conceded a third goal pressing for an equaliser in the 89th minute.

Wright raced clear and was one on one with Lainton who he beat to seal victory.

Grimsby Town (4-4-1-1): McKeown; Efete, Waterfall, Towler, Crookes; Sousa (Wright 77) , Hunt (Pearson 90), Coke, Clifton; McAtee (Fox 90); Taylor. Subs not used: Bapaga, Revan.

Wrexham (3-5-2): Lainton; Hayden, Tozer, Cleworth (Green 85); French, James Jones, Young, Redmond (McAlinden 57), Reckord; Hyde (Angus 76), Mullin. Subs: Dibble, Green, Brisley.

Attendance: 6,663 (506 from Wrexham).