WREXHAM ran out 3-1 winners against Curzon Ashton in their final pre-season friendly.

Supporters were back at The Racecourse for the first time since March 2020 and 2,359 fans saw the Reds given a good test by their National League North opponents.

Manager Phil Parkinson, back in the hotseat following a spell in isolation after contracting Covid 19, handed a start to centre-back Aaron Hayden who was making his first appearance since joining Wrexham from Carlisle United.

Curzon had the first sight of goal in the 10th minute but Christian Dibble did well to turn Jack Dunn's drive behind for a corner and the Reds' goalkeeper was also on hand to thwart Alex Curran as the visitors seized upon a stray pass by the trialist centre-back.

Although Curzon had been on top, Wrexham came close to breaking the deadlock when Jake Hyde got a touch to Reece Hall-Johnson's cross but keeper Chris Renshaw was equal to the task.

Another Hyde effort found the roof of the net as the Reds came more into the game and Jordan Davies' corner reached Paul Mullin but his volley was brilliantly saved by Renshaw.

Wrexham continued to press and when a shot was blocked in the area, Hyde laid off to Davies who was denied by Renshaw's outstretched leg, but the Reds took the lead after 38 minutes.

Dibble's long clearance was flicked on by Hyde and Mullin ran at the defence before brilliantly curling the ball beyond Renshaw from just outside the area.

Renshaw turned Hyde's drive behind as Wrexham sought to build on their lead and he then pulled off an even better save in the final seconds of the first half, brilliantly tipping the striker's header wide of the post following Hall-Johnson's well executed cross.

Curzon created the first chance after the break but Dibble got his fingertips to Dale Whitham's effort.

Renshaw made an incredible save at the other end to claw Mullin's header off the line from Hall-Johnson's cross but Wrexham went 2-0 up on 53 minutes as Cameron Green's deflected effort found the back of the net.

However, Curzon reduced the deficit five minutes later with Dominic Knowles heading home an Adam Thomas' corner.

Wrexham had a great chance to regain their two-goal advantage but Renshaw denied Luke Young after last season's leading scorer was set-up by Mullin and Davies fired narrowly wide following a good move.

After Dunn almost equalised for Curzon, Wrexham made sure of the win by going 3-1 up in the 89th minute as substitute Dior Angus scored after Renshaw saved an initial effort.

Wrexham (3-5-2): Dibble; Hayden, Trialist, Reckord; Hall-Johnson (French 78), Davies, Young (Bickerstaff 89), McAlinden (Jarvis 71), Green (Cleworth 90); Mullin, Hyde (Angus 78). Subs: Dan Davies, Kai Evans, Dan Jones, Fountain, James.

Curzon Ashton (4-3-3): Renshaw; Challoner, Poscha, Wilson, Waters; Dunn, Daly, Whitham; Thomas, Knowles, Curran. Subs: Mahon, McKay, Hobson, Dyce, Cottam.

Referee: Arthur Smallman.

Attendance: 2,359.