WREXHAM came from behind to draw 2-2 against Maidenhead United and pick up what could be a valuable point in the race for a play-off spot.

The Reds trailed 2-0 following a poor first half but, playing with the wind advantage after the interval, earned a share of the spoils thanks to goals by Jordan Davies and substitute Dior Angus.

The stalemate, which extended the unbeaten run to five games, keeps Dean Keates' side sixth in the National League.

Although they were unable to make it a Bank Holiday weekend double having registered a 2-1 victory over Solihull Moors on Saturday, Wrexham managed to grind out a result at such a crucial stage of the season.

There are only five games remaining in the quest for a top seven finish and Wrexham find themselves two points ahead of Chesterfield, the side immediately outside the play-offs.

Keates made four changes from the side that started the win against Solihull 48 hours earlier.

Two of the switches were in the wing-back positions with Tyler French and Jamie Reckord taking over from Reece Hall-Johnson and Cameron Green.

Paul Rutherford replaced Jay Harris in midfield and there was also a first start up front for Chris Sang who was preferred to Angus, with the striker named among the substitutes along with Harris and Green.

Wrexham made a lively start and had a couple of early efforts.

Gold Omotayo's goal bound header was cleared by a defender and Shaun Pearson's drive was blocked before Maidenhead went close as Danilo Orsi fired wide.

But the Magpies took the lead after 15 minutes in spectacular fashion.

Sam Barratt won possession and his wind-assisted shot from just inside his own half sailed over Rob Lainton, who was off his line, and into the net.

Ryan Upward also brought a save out of Lainton who then parried James Comley's effort as Maidenhead continued to have the upper hand.

The spell of pressure paid off as Maidenhead doubled their advantage on 32 minutes.

Comley was allowed to run at goal unchallenged and although he lost the ball, French sliced his clearance and the Magpies midfielder fired past Lainton.


Theo Vassell made a brilliant goal line clearance to prevent Josh Coley's cross from reaching Upward while Jordan Davies' shot was deflected wide for a corner at the other end.

Luke Young's low drive was turned away by goalkeeper Rhys Lovett in stoppage time, with Wrexham facing a lot of work to get something out of the game heading into the second half.

Davies felt he should have been awarded a penalty after going down in the area when the action resumed and referee Steven Copeland also failed to point to the spot when Rutherford was upended by Comley.

But Wrexham reduced the deficit in the 58th minute.

Young sent in a corner and Davies' glancing header beat Lovett.

Buoyed by the goal, Wrexham continued to press and Rutherford failed to hit the target from inside the box when he had time to compose himself and Davies' effort was blocked before Angus replaced Sang after 64 minutes.

Back came Maidenhead and Barratt was denied by Lainton but French struck the top of the crossbar with a cross that had Lovett worried at the other end.

There was a good chance of an equaliser when Angus pulled the ball back for Davies whose goal bound drive from inside the area was blocked by Ryheem Sheckleford and the midfielder also headed wide from a corner.

But Wrexham were back on level terms nine minutes from time.

Davies put Angus through on goal and the striker slotted past Lovett.

Neither side could find an equaliser and Wrexham's unbeaten run at the business end of the season goes on.

Maidenhead United (4-3-3): Lovett; Sheckleford, Parry, Massey, Sparkes; Upward, Wiltshire, Comley; Barratt, Orsi (Kelly 74), Coley (Ince 85). Subs not used: Keetch, Smith, Egan.

Wrexham (3-5-2): Lainton; Kelleher, Pearson, Vassell; French, Rutherford (Harris 86), Young, Davies, Reckord; Omotayo, Sang (Angus 64). Subs not used: Dibble, Jarvis, Ponticelli.